Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all:

I love my smart key, but it continues to open my back door (the hatchback, I guess) when I don't need it opened. I'll come home from work, go inside and wake up the next morning to find it has been open, probably all night. Other than being extra careful not to hit the remote when it's in range, do you have suggestions for how to handle that? Is it possible to disable that function on the remote?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Unless you have altered the programming, the only way the smart key can do that is if the button is held down for 2 seconds. Its designed to prevent this very thing. Is that button getting pressed in your pocket maybe? Otherwise it would have to be something in the car itself.

Of course the most common cause for that is that the user opened it and forgot. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, yeah. I'm absolutely activating it via my pocket. Just trying to figure out if there's a way to stop doing that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't have that problem and normally keep the fob in my pocket. But sometimes when I'm home, I take the smart key out of my pockets and hang it by the entrance.
In any case, I've been thinking about getting one of these:

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I seem to remember a thread about this before. People would come to their car after work, out of fob range, and find their hatch open.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So I got one of those protectors for the key fob.
So far it's working great.

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Never had that issue described by the OP also as stated you need to press the button for a few seconds before it opens the lift gate. Our 16-XLE doesn't have a key fob, but my Nx does and it seems it might fit the Rav key fob too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh, yeah. I'm absolutely activating it via my pocket. Just trying to figure out if there's a way to stop doing that.
Carry it in your jeans "change pocket" with the buttons facing your leg. Problem solved, nothing can activate it there. I just leave it there, no other keys on it and it is always with me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So Auburn, did your issue get solved?
Did you buy a silicon or leather case or went with a different solution?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts