Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your advice. New to forums. I have a 2012 Rav 4 limited V6 with towing package. I specifically ordered a OEM trailer hitch to be installed. I was quoted 517.62 installed. When I dropped the Rav off I again asked if it was a OEM part and they said that's all they install. This is what they said was a OEM tow hitch. It's a Reese and listed on my paper work as 00016-42016-2006 RAV4 Hitch. This can't be OEM can it? Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Check to see whether there are additional attachment points in addition to the four bolts which should be evident towards the rear of the hitch, and mounted through two points on either side of the reinforced underside part of the RAV's "frame". If there are only four bolts and mounts then it is an aftermarket hitch. The OEM Toyota hitch has several more mounting points through which bolts should be evident.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Thanks Blogson. I only see 4 bolts. 2 on both sides? See here.
From your pic it appears that the hitch is aftermarket, rather than OEM Toyota. The OEM Toyota hitch has several more brackets and mounting points. Your pic shows exactly how my aftermarket hitch is attached. Seems that you have good reason to go back to the dealer and complain.

Reactions: Nolanrolling

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
If the invoice says Reese then you did not get what you paid for. They took you to the cleaners.
Here are the parts for a Toyota OEM hitch:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the invoice says Reese then you did not get what you paid for. They took you to the cleaners.
Here are the parts for a Toyota OEM hitch:

That's not what I got! At first I was quoted as 2.5 -3 hour job for hitch/harness wiring. Then, after waiting over 5 hours in shop (30k service and hitch) said they couldn't do it in one day. Said it was a 8 hour job just for harness and hitch portion alone. I had to leave it there overnight. (They did give me a loaner for free because of the mix up) So, would there be a warranty issue from Toyota if the harness failed due to not being OEM causing body/frame damage? Safety concerns? I wanted OEM for a reason. Thanks for your reply. Brian

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
NO WAY is that the OEM hitch!

Here's what it looks like before it gets bolted on:

Notice the extra "wings" going off to the sides, and the brackets on the left and right sides leading to the rear which attach to the two "dog biscuit" brackets that hang down (when you have the tow prep package) like this (driver's side only shown):

Most notably, however, the chain hook attachment points look completely different on yours than in my first picture. Also that chrome trim around the receiver tube doesn't exist on the OEM hitch.

Here's what mine looks like, installed (ignore the red circles):

As seen in the image above, the OEM hitch also comes with a black "Toyota" hitch receiver plug, at least mine came that way from the dealer. I had the OEM hitch installed by the dealer when I bought it new back in 2012.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
That's not what I got! At first I was quoted as 2.5 -3 hour job for hitch/harness wiring. Then, after waiting over 5 hours in shop (30k service and hitch) said they couldn't do it in one day. Said it was a 8 hour job just for harness and hitch portion alone. I had to leave it there overnight. (They did give me a loaner for free because of the mix up) So, would there be a warranty issue from Toyota if the harness failed due to not being OEM causing body/frame damage? Safety concerns? I wanted OEM for a reason. Thanks for your reply. Brian
You won't have any damage because you have an aftermarket hitch - aftermarket hitches when mounted to the four primary mounting points and if the Toyota and hitch capacities aren't exceeded are perfectly capable of working without problems, as those of us who have them can verify.

But what the dealer charged you for the hitch which they installed possibly would be excessive unless they also installed the necessary wiring harness, which it appears from your posts that they did. If I recall, owners who have had the OEM Toyota hitch installed paid something like $700 + (US dollars) as that hitch is much more expensive than aftermarket hitches, and it takes more labor hours to install it.
Still, the aftermarket hitch itself is an easy install, one can do it in less than half an hour if the pre-threaded bolt holes aren't rusted, somewhat longer if the threads are rusted and must be cleaned.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Need your advice. New to forums. I have a 2012 Rav 4 limited V6 with towing package. I specifically ordered a OEM trailer hitch to be installed. I was quoted 517.62 installed. When I dropped the Rav off I again asked if it was a OEM part and they said that's all they install. This is what they said was a OEM tow hitch. It's a Reese and listed on my paper work as 00016-42016-2006 RAV4 Hitch. This can't be OEM can it? Brian
You got screwed 7 ways from Sunday.. aftermarket hitch and wiring is about 150 and maybe an hour for the total install...screwed, screwed and screwed.. you should NEVER go there again after you collect the money they screwed you out of...

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is what was installed. I called dealer this morning and he said that the Reese is an OEM part from SouthEast Toyota. I disagree. He is checking into it for me. I'm sure the Reese is a fine product but I specifically asked for OEM. BTW I apologize for my first post being a plea for help. It should have been an introduction. This is my second RAV4. First was a 2004. Love them. Thanks for the replies. Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I called dealer this morning and he said that the Reese is an OEM part from SouthEast Toyota. I disagree.
That is an outrageous claim. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, which is universally understood to be the manufacturer of the vehicle. Reese is CLEARLY aftermarket, by definition, and I don't understand how that could ever be considered OEM.

Ask him to show you the Southeast-Toyota-owned RAV4 manufacturing assembly line and see what he says.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is an outrageous claim. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, which is universally understood to be the manufacturer of the vehicle. Reese is CLEARLY aftermarket, by definition, and I don't understand how that could ever be considered OEM.

Ask him to show you the Southeast-Toyota-owned RAV4 manufacturing assembly line and see what he says.

Not true, not every component in the car is made by the supplier. Toyota might be buying their design from Reese, making Reese a tier 1 supplier for Toyota. They just ask for a specific component to be made by said supplier and that component becomes OEM.

Sent from my Archos 45 Helium 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not true, not every component in the car is made by the supplier. Toyota might be buying their design from Reese, making Reese a tier 1 supplier for Toyota. They just ask for a specific component to be made by said supplier and that component becomes OEM.
But it's my understanding that to be OEM Toyota would have their name on the hitch, regardless of which supplier actually made it, and I don't believe that's the case here. It was clearly stated to be a Reese hitch.

If the OP didn't actually specify to install "the Toyota hitch" and simply specified to install "an OEM hitch" then maybe the dealership that installed it could have a case, though it would be pretty weak, I think.

It may boil down to the language used in the original request/agreement, I suppose.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts

Whoever's name is on it, the hitch which was installed was/is NOT Toyota OEM. It clearly is aftermarket. And Toyota's name is on across-the-counter parts which are marketed as being Toyota parts even if they are actually manufactured by other companies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whoever's name is on it, the hitch which was installed was/is NOT Toyota OEM. It clearly is aftermarket. And Toyota's name is on across-the-counter parts which are marketed as being Toyota parts even if they are actually manufactured by other companies.
I'm not saying the hitch is OEM, I'm saying that because its a Reese doesn't mean that Reese only makes aftermarket.

But yay OP, definitely looks like an aftermarket. Maybe take it to a different dealer to see what they say or ask for a quote and pictures at a different dealer.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
I'm not saying the hitch is OEM, I'm saying that because its a Reese doesn't mean that Reese only makes aftermarket.

But yay OP, definitely looks like an aftermarket. Maybe take it to a different dealer to see what they say or ask for a quote and pictures at a different dealer.

As you noted it certainly is possible that Reese makes OEM-labeled parts for other companies, including Toyota. And after doing some digging, Reese apparently actually manufacture what they sell, rather than buying them already made from someone else. But if they do manufacture Toyota OEM hitches those would be branded as Toyota products. That's known as private labeling - I worked for a battery manufacturer and supplier who also private labeled batteries for other sellers. The actual manufacturer's name wasn't on those batteries.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would make an appointment to see the dealership owner or general manager. Give them one chance to make this right. If your invoice shows the Toyota part number, they need to put the factory part on not an aftermarket hitch.

Going forward, I would request "Toyota brand" parts rather than saying OEM just to be more specific.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If your invoice shows the Toyota part number, they need to put the factory part on not an aftermarket hitch.
The OP previously stated:

> When I dropped the Rav off I again asked if it was a OEM part and they said that's all they install. This is what they said was a OEM tow hitch. It's a Reese and listed on my paper work as 00016-42016-2006 RAV4 Hitch.

However, a quick Internet search doesn't turn up that part number anywhere, including on the Reese web site. In fact, when you search the Reese web site for 2012 RAV4 hitches, the results return ones made by Draw-Tite and Rigid (!!!)

The pictures the OP posted look exactly like this Draw-Tite hitch from the Reese web site which costs $169.70 with free shipping and an installation time specified of 20 minutes.

I'm wondering if that's a "SouthEast Toyota" part number. Regardless, the whole thing reeks of "bait and switch."

1 - 20 of 46 Posts