Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TJCruiserForums.com - The Largest Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum And Community!

The 2017 New York Auto Show saw the debut of a new concept vehicle from Toyota, called the FT-4X, but the teaser may have given off the wrong impression to off-road fans.

Thanks to that teaser and the name, the car built expectations of serious off-road cred, but the final reveal had us looking at something that’s kind of like a Jeep Renegade crossed with a Honda Element.

Needless to say, the cult of Toyota off-roading fans weren’t amused. With this concept car riding on the same TNGA platform shared with the C-HR and Prius, it’s clearly not as hardcore as something like an FJ Cruiser.
Read more about Here’s What People Are Saying About the Toyota FT-4X (NSFW) at AutoGuide.com.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
I say it's butt-ugly!

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
A total waste of time and effort.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
They mated a Pontiac Aztek with a Honda Element and threw out the best of the litter!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I also immediately thought of the Pontiac Aztec--fail.

But it does harken back to the 2-door gen 1 which I think is a cute around-town runabout.

And I do like the combo dual horizontal opening or vertical opening tailgate featured in the video. I hope to see that option on future RAVs. Please--anything to do away with the current powered liftgates, which I find an abomination of laziness and needless over-engineering.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
At first glance I thought that it was a Mattel toy!

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
IT'S A TOAD TOYOTA. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
IT'S A TOAD TOYOTA. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?

Aha! So that's the actual model name? Apparently the publicity got it wrong!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Jeep Renegade, Honda HR-V and KIA Soul are selling pretty well. All these cars aesthetics are unconventional but younger consumers like them. Toyota needs a smaller (and cheaper) CUV than the RAV. Most young people are no longer interested in cars (sedans) and the FT-4X fits nicely with this group demographics. The new Toyota CH-R does not offer AWD so the FT-4X fills the gap.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If this is marketed toward millennials, then I'll just add another reason why I don't understand my own generation. Honestly, if boxy cars are what they want to make, then take some styling cues from designers who did it right, for example:

The 1st gen 4Runner

The Volvo 240 (I hear these are popular with hipsters.)

I can only pray that the next generation of North American car buyers makes station wagons great again. :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts