Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago (53k miles), I started hearing this "vibration" rattle kind loud noise coming from where my gears are. It only happened in the 5th gear and the faster I went, the louder the rattle.
Took it to the dealer. They test drove and claimed didn't hear anything so I went to drive the car myself with a mechanice beside me. He popped the shifter cover (silver) and took my shifter knob off. So I was basically driving with a thin stick and I could see the gear box? shifter assembly underneath.
Long story short, he said that the shifter rods need to be changed and they were worn out/BENT. I asked, "How?". He said that he didn't know. Anyway, I paid $380 and had the car with the dealer for 7 days because the part ordered didn't arrive in a timely manner.
I took it for a test drive the last weekend and rattle was still there but on higher speeds and sounded different. I was so mad.
Took it back on Monday and they are now changing all of my SHIFTER ASSEMBLY and have completely taken it apart. According to the mechanic, they may have to take my transmission down because the "shifter connectors" are easier to get to then. THANK GOD WITHOUT CHARGE!!
Not happy. Not happy. I literally baby my RAV. It gets parked far from other cars in the parking lot. Only gets hand washed with sheep skin, slowest driver on the road, and ALL clean FLUID freak. Then why? WHY? WHY? I hope it gets fixed right this time.
--------------------------------------------
Other problems that I had
Check Engine light - Fixed under some warranty/recall??
Dash Rattle - Never fixed. GAVE UP NOW. Too tired/ now used to it.
I think overall it is still a very good vehicle and I will always buy only RAVs as long as they can give me a Manual transmission. Otherwise this one is here to stay in our family for atleast ten to fifteen years.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds familliar to what I had in my 2001.

The short version, bought the car (Sunday) from a Toyota Dealer and it was "certified" by their shop. Two days (Tuesday) after we bought the car noticed that when driving at freeway speeds if I accelerated the shifter moved backwards like it was going to pop out of gear. When I took my foot off the gas it pulled forward like going into gear. Two days after this (Thursday), while my wife was driving, the transmission popped out of 5th gear on an uphill. On Monday the car was in the shop that it was "certified" at and found to have a bad 5th gear ring gear and synchro gear. After some ranting and raving, some not nice things said and alot of anger/frustration, the dealer got a "Good Faith" warranty repair from Toyota and covered all additional costs. 5 days later (Friday) it was back in our hands and the tranny is going strong.

Something that one of the Technicians stated during the process, apparently there is some kind of Service Bullitien out there about the 5spd transmissions. Sorry, don't know anything more about the service bullitien than that.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a similar noise around the gearbox area. What I hear is a squeeky noise when the car driven over uneven road. I think it's the seat. The problem is very intermitent so I find it to investigate while I'm driving.

I also got the same squeeky noise from the rear seat/door area. Anyone experienced similar things?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone got any contacts who could share this TSB - seems to be quite a common issue ...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Tankdog - can't find it - can you tell me which Ref. No it is please - I must be having a stupid moment !!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.... tankd0g is sharing the correct information. The exact same parts were changed on my RAV4. All under WARRANTY. It is ok now.

Although the noise was really not the squeaky one. It was more of a vibration like a buzzing bee is trying to get out of a window against the glass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Anyone ...

I have a 2001 Rav4 L manual transmission. 2006K miles. The car has been a wonderful car; the only thing changed were: thermostat (3 times), only this year, front struts, normal brake pad / rotor changes. Also, front left brake calipers seized, hesitation in low gear from start that is randomly and quite uncomfortable coming off a stop at lights sometimes...

Now I have a buzzing/rattle noise coming from my 5th gear. Also my 5th gear has popped out a few times under load. Any Service Bulletins out on this; I heard it might be the 5th gear bearings? The car runs very very well now ... And I can't change my marker light on the front right side; internet tells me to take the wheel well cover off to get my hand underneath? I tried taking my headlight assembly off , but too much work.
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Anyone ...

I have a 2001 Rav4 L manual transmission. 2006K miles. The car has been a wonderful car; the only thing changed were: thermostat (3 times), only this year, front struts, normal brake pad / rotor changes. Also, front left brake calipers seized, hesitation in low gear from start that is randomly and quite uncomfortable coming off a stop at lights sometimes...

Now I have a buzzing/rattle noise coming from my 5th gear. Also my 5th gear has popped out a few times under load. Any Service Bulletins out on this; I heard it might be the 5th gear bearings? The car runs very very well now ... And I can't change my marker light on the front right side; internet tells me to take the wheel well cover off to get my hand underneath? I tried taking my headlight assembly off , but too much work.
Thanks in advance...

I'll answer one of my questions since no one else has in regard to the Marker Light Bulb.

Marker Light Bulb: Through the internet and this site; I've read many things, some were far fetched as the light assembly doesn't match up to what they were talking about; probably the wrong year. Other ways to change the bulb was to take out some of the retaining screws in the tire well on the passenger side and reach in with your hand. That proved too much work also. Another is to take out he headlight assembly to change the bulb... way too complicated and too much work. Once suggestion was to get a long needle nose plier... Guess what, I didn't know what they meant, but certainly a "standard" needle nose pliers will not work because the hands has to open up the pliers and way too small of a space to work with. Another suggestion was to loosen the windshield fluid unit... can't, doesn't budge. Anyways, the "LONG" needle nose plier worked... These pliers do exist in a 45 degree angle. Took me about 15 minutes to tip my head upside down to view the plug and reach in with the LONG needle nose plier. And it came off.. but with some needed force though.

Here is the steps:

1 - Long needle nose pliers (12 inch long).. preferably a 45 degree angled pliers.

2 - take out the electrical connector by squeezing on the tab on top.
(you may want to take out the head light electrical connector also so
wires will not hamper your visual sighting of the connector)
3 - grasp the connector with the pliers and twist counter clock wise quarter of a turn .. then pull the plug out.
4 - pull the light bulb straight out and replace; use plastic gloves.
5 - before putting the connector back in with your hand, put a little oil/grease
on the gasket/connector so that it will turn easier.
6 - insert the connector back in with the hand and twist the connector with your hand as much as you can. It will turn a lot easier with the "grease".
7 - Tighten with Long needle nose plier if you like. The pliers cost only
$3.95.

I have uploaded a picture of the long plier.

Next: Driver side door lock working intermittently, then maybe the stick shift issue. Looking for a video to get the panel off .. I did see it somewhere...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts