Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 4clr 4x2. It hesitates upon acceleration from time to time. It does this from a complete stop or from a slow speed when I goose it. The dealer told me this was normal. I've owned 7 Camry's previous to my Rav4 and have never had this problem. It's quite dangerous! But maybe this is normal for this model(?)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 2004 Rav doesn't hesitate so I'll say it isn't normal. My Toyota dealer has a habit of saying things are normal that aren't, so I wouldn't trust everything the dealer says. It might be a problem with the electric throttle control.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Some of the 2001 models had that hesitation. Ask around, but for some it went away as the RAV learned the driver's style, and for others it didn't go away until they reprogrammed the ECU. :roll:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Liz said:
Some of the 2001 models had that hesitation. Ask around, but for some it went away as the RAV learned the driver's style, and for others it didn't go away until they reprogrammed the ECU. :roll:
yes sir.... its not normal, i had that crap.... go to the dealer is a problem with the air sensor in the intake i belive

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... hope you don't have the same problem I do. I have a 2000 that has also been hesitating before kicking into gear, usually at very low speeds or from a standstill (the latter occuring more often following quicker stops). When the dealership diagnosed the 'check engine' light that has come on, they told me I need a new tranny. There are only 48K miles on this thing!!! It should be totally covered by the warranty, but I'm 8 mo past the 5 yr mark, so they only offered to pay half of it. I will ask them about the suggestions in this thread for possible sources of the problem, but my gut feeling is that I'm going to have to shell out the $2K. I already tried going above the dealership to Customer Service at the Torrance office, but had no luck with that as the offer came from the regional warranty rep., and they said they won't intercede once anyone outside the dealership has been involved. Good luck!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before my current 2001 RAV, I had a 2WD RAV, bought brand new and hesitated driving home the first day. Never figured out. Dealer told me it was normal.....

Sold it. Never found out the problem.

This one doesn't do it. Thank God.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hesitation Blues

Like a lot of others on this site, my 2001 RAV w/ AT did the "dead zone" hesitation thing 4 or 5 times, but only when I tried to goose it from low speed. It was like it wouldn't downshift, so I would sometimes hit the O/D off button on the shift lever if I knew I had to power up quickly (like an Interstate on-ramp).

But I don't think it ever hesitated from a full-stop, standing start. So it sounds like a different situation from yours.

The problem went away after about 5k miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
771 Posts
With the spark-plugs buried in the head it is possible to have moisture traped in there. Sometimes the spark can arc-out on the block and cause a hesitation. Most noticable at quick starts and low speed quick acceleration. Sometimes if you drive on a very smooth road you can feel it "miss" sort of if you keep a constant speed.

Check your plug connections and make sure everything is clean and dry. This is probably not a usual problem with Toyota but I had it happen to another car I had. Similar set-up. I took it to the dealer about 6 times before I got the right guy who knew what he was doing. He was an electrical technician and a friend of a friend. He fixed the problem and it never returned.

He put some sort of die-electic grease or something down around the plug sleeve and moisture could not get in again.

Just a though maybe it might help. I'm going to check mine now because I haven't yet and I like to see if all is clean down there.

Good Luck figuring it out. M.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2001 does it too. Dealer replaced the TPS... Needless to say it still does it. So yes, it is "normal".

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JMEaT said:
My 2001 does it too. Dealer replaced the TPS... Needless to say it still does it. So yes, it is "normal".
I have had 3 2001s. Only the first one(that I bought brand new) did it.
This one has been doing perfect.. so I think there IS a problem... Dealers say that because they can't figure out what is wrong.. Please try different dealers.

If you call a helpdesk for some assistance for anything in daily life, you will get different answers many times from differnet people at the same hellpdesk... (just example!)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Normal, BUT:

My 2001 did the slow speed hesitation since new intermittantly. The 'fix' for me was changine my driving style. After 25,000 miles of mostly city driving and intermittant hesitation, I started driving mine on the highway to work. After just a few weeks of highway driving, it never hesitated again. It's a computer thing.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hesitation problem - try use Redex injector cleaner

Guys,

I have owned my RAV since new from 2001, it always suffers from the hestiation problem. At worst when applyinggas, there would be no response for a few seconds and then power kicks in and accelerate. I have lived with this behavour a the past few years. But recently I havce used the Fuel injector cleaner (Redex) and it seems to have got rid of the hesitation problem.

So I recommend to anyone to try it out, and beside I don't think there is any harm to the engine.

Hope it works for you guy.
:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
rweishuhn said:
I have a 2005 4clr 4x2. It hesitates upon acceleration from time to time. It does this from a complete stop or from a slow speed when I goose it. The dealer told me this was normal. I've owned 7 Camry's previous to my RAV4 and have never had this problem. It's quite dangerous! But maybe this is normal for this model(?)
How many miles on your 2K5?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to bring my 05 RAV to the dealer today because the 02 sensor was fried so I figured I would ask about the hesitation problem and the guy told me it was normal. He says one of the guys there has an 05 RAV and it does the same thing. He says it has something to do with the traction control. Don't know how true it is since I wasn't aware I had traction control but that's what I was told.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have 2001 toyota rav4. Im facing an issue - at times my rav4 looses acceleration and decelerates no matter how hard i press the accelerator (shows > 3000 rpm, but still decelerates to around ~40 MPH from ~65 MPH). This is posing a real danger on the highways during passing :-( i want the experts opinion so turned up to the rav4world forum. Please help!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
had the same issue with my 2001, turned out the service tech damages the pressure regulator assembly valve aka return valve or O-ring as a result the fuel system fails to build up the required amount of fuel pressure to the cylinders, resulting in misfiring. that was the case for me anyway. its a little complex to disassemble the fuel assy to replace the fuel filter, that's when the damage occurs.

ToyoDIY.com

had poor acceleration, passing power etc. but now she pulls like new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts