Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys,
I'm new here, just saying hello and wondering if I could ask a question? I was wondering if there is a difference in performance gains between just getting a K&N filter to replace the stock and going all out and modding up a CAI????

Also I noticed that a lot of you are interested in stereo equipment, and I used to be really into modding a Mustang (2003 also) I had before so i know of a few places from my dabblings in car stuff previous to my experiences here.

For some great deals (don't get me wrong Crutchfield is a good source for stereo info) check this place out www.sonicelectronix.com

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Regarding the intake. If you just install the OEM filter in the OEM box. Performance and a deeper sound will happen...at about 4,000RPM+. Now then, installing a Funnel and a K&N filter the performance is evident as soon as you step on the throttle. Install a Header and the fuel economy and the power go up.

Regarding the stereo, well you will find a lot of ideas here. I got an Alpine AMP with four Infinity speakers. I'm a jazz music lover so I don't need that much thunder in my ride.

Welcome to the Forum.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do realize that OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer". As far as I know K&N is far from stock, and will increase both HP and MPG by a little bit.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well what is the serial # of the K&N filter i need for a 2003 rav4 AWD 2.0L??????

·
Registered
191 Posts
OEM replacement

Welcome bonemachine,

Here's where I bought my K&N CAI system for my Sports Sedan and a replacement filter for my RAV. Free shipping and competitive pricing.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/knfilters/details?part_num=33-2216&products=1&ajr_skey=a5e00bd456e4115c8133c12ae81b3ad7

If your looking to increase your hp or mpg's just by installing a replacing filter. I think you'll be disappointed. My mpg's might have gone up .25-.50 with a 'slightly' better throttle response. I installed K&N on the RAV for its filtration technology and reusable characteristics. You really need to install a CAI system to get a big improvement over the OEM which I immediately did on my V6 Sedan.

Ravon~*
(Ray von)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will i feel a loss in low end torque from simply installing a CAI ?? or does that come from fiddling with the exhaust (bigger pipes=loss in back pressure)???

Also, does anyone make a good cat-back system for this car (2003 RAV4)?/

·
Registered
396 Posts
In North America, the only "official" catback exhaust that was released for the 2001-2003 Rav4 was the Tanabe HyperMedallaion exhaust. Click on my website to see it. I've also installed the Weapon R Secret WEapon intake although I haven't updated my site yet. Yes, there was a bit off a loss with low end torque in the beginning. I took the Rav to a trip down from San Jose to LA right when I had that installed so I noticed the difference right away. Took awhile for the ecu to adapt but I don't see much of a difference at the low end anymore. If there is, I don't feel it much and I like to gun it off the the lights. At the high end, it definitely feels better. It's not a neckbreaker, mind you, but the Rav just feels a bit better to drive at higher speeds now. Sounds better, too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi Slayer....
would you be able to post pics of your exhaust system from front to back?

will be greatly appreciated....thanks!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Maligayang Pasko at Maswuerteng Bagong Taon!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now are you saying that you lose low end from just the exhaust kit? Or did you lose some from the intake as well? What kind of gains did you get from each? And finally how have these mods effected your gas milage?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts