Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Hi all! - '04 RAV4

354 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  DL175
Just saying Hi and will be browsing these forums for info and ideas. My mother has an '04 RAV4 with a low 99k miles. It basically sat in the SoCal sun for the past 15 years and driven a couple times a month while she took care of my grandmother. Fast forward to today and she is now living near me in Western PA and its time to show her little RAV4 some love. I took it into the shop for an inspection to make sure its safe and to get some new tires (dry rot) put on so we can register it here and have it pass inspection. I was really surprised that the only issues they found were a burnt out turn signal bulb, a dying battery and a bad wiper blades. I knew about the tires ahead of time which is why I ordered some General Altimax 365's to throw on once the moving truck delivered her car. I have General Grabber ATX on my '18 GMC Sierra, and Ive been a big fan, so I decided to stay loyal. ;)

I guess if a vehicle is going to sit outside 24/7 with little maintenance, SoCal is a good place. Out here in Western PA it would of been eaten alive after a few years. She did take it in for oil changes, brakes and little things that popped up over the years, so mechanically its great!

Anyway, some items I know we will be addressing are:
Sun visors wont stay up
Passenger fender molding is half on (clips are broken). Got a kiss from another vehicle
Some minor dents and scrapes on doors
Polish the yellowing and cloudy headlights
All weather floor mats
Replace the original Toyota branded plastic spare tire cover
Keyfobs wont unlock the driver side door

Just wanted to say Hi and post my first post with some context.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the community! The Keyfob is a common issue with the Rav4 with it being the door lock actuator. Its a pretty simple fix but its a hassle to get out because to install it you have to put everything on then twist it 180 degrees to mount onto the door. With floormats universal would be your best friend. Hope to see you here more often!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I found another thread on this forum that I saved about that door lock actuator. I will be doing a little cleanup this weekend over at her new house and I plan to get cracking on polishing those yellow cloudy headlights and picking up a pair of universal mats. Now that she's not living on the other side of the country I can do a little maintenance and upkeep in the ol' RAV4. ;)

· Registered
4,818 Posts
The door lock actuator can be tricky to get to work once you install a new one. Unlike the Gen3 RAV4 these door lock actuator need to be align in the proper position to work. I suggest you do not close all the windows when you are done because none of the doors may unlock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts