Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is a AWD V4 with 55,000 miles. Any tips, advice or known problems about this model would be really appreciated. I live in an area with a good amount of snow during the winter, and any opinions on how it handles in the snow would help. Furthermore, even though I'm pretty sure that the 18 rims will allow regular tires in addition to the run flats, could I please get verification of that, and that changing them to regular tires will not mess with the vehicle performance, suspension, stability or tire pressure. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
First off it's either an I4 or a V-6, there is no V4. Is it all wheel drive or front wheel drive?
That will determine how well it handles snow/winter.

Regular tires will work just fine but you won't have a spare unless you buy another wheel & tire and throw it in the back. The ride will be considerably better than the hard as a rock run flats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And RTexasF, just to verify, the Regular tires will fit on the OEM Rims with no problems? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Many folks here have done just that. The run flat tires are very stiff and exacerbate the already stiff ride of the Sport.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RFT tires are also more expensive. I would encourage looking for a 4WD V6 Model in standard sport or limited trim. Unless you REALLY prefer the rear hatch without the spare.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
RFT tires are also more expensive. I would encourage looking for a 4WD V6 Model in standard sport or limited trim. Unless you REALLY prefer the rear hatch without the spare.
The only difference between an SAP with regular tires and the normal Sport is that the SAP would have no spare tire at all.

However, the ride is significantly different between the Sport or SAP vs the Limited or Base because the suspension is much stiffer on the Sport or SAP.

I would guess that if you want the SAP but not runflat tires it must be hugely important to you to not have a spare tire on the back.

So important that at least most of the time you're willing to drive with no recourse other than a tow truck (or patch kit and air compressor if it even can be patched on the side of the road - "fun!") if you get a flat tire.

Otherwise if all you're after is the stiffer suspension, a regular Sport would do the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts