Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked this site out when I was first considering a 2010 Rav4. I bought it last year and really love it. I drive from my place in south-east Saskatchewan to Lethbridge, AB basically every two weeks. My husband and I purchased an acreage in 2014 and looked forward to settling in to hobby farming but my father passed away a few months later so I have to return to Lethbridge often to take my Mom to her appointments, shopping etc. I had a 2007 Ford Focus which I really enjoyed but just didn't have the room needed when shopping with my Mom or buying supplies for my 12 dogs and 6 cats and 25 chickens. The Rav4 suddenly showed up at a dealership when I was buying a vehicle for my daughter. I know Toyota generally makes quality so after a bit of research I was able to buy it.
Last week was the first time I had any problems with my Rav4. I got an oil change and they told me all my fluids were good. A couple days after I got home my husband took my Rav4 into town. When he returned he told me my abs, vsc and park brake lights were on. The next day the brake lights were on though no one was even in the car and the cruise control wouldn't work. We removed the fuse so the battery wouldn't die. When we put the fuse back in the next day the brake lights were back to normal and the lights went out on the dash. We found a mouse in my Rav4 so the first thought was maybe they were chewing some wires. I had to travel to Lethbridge the following day. The lights came on while driving on the highway and my cruise control cut out. The next day when I took my Mom shopping the brake lights had stopped working. I looked online and one suggestion was the brake switch which I replaced with no changes. I noticed the exact problem discussed on this site and the suggestion the stop lamp control was the culprit. I pulled it out and noticed there is some evidence of corrosion at the base of two of the prongs. I'm not sure how it would have gotten wet given its location but cleaning it didn't change anything. My local Toyota dealer wants $200 for a new stop lamp control. I am having a hard time finding others online. I don't have a code reader with me but I do at home. I'm just wondering what code I can expect if it is in fact the stop lamp control. I would appreciate assistance.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Welcome! Unfortunately the mouse and/or mice is/are the prime suspect(s) - seem to love RAV wiring and have chewed their ways through quite a lot of people's wiring, as there have been a number of posts on RAV4World about the problem. Often the reported RAV malfunctions have been intermittent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and one more thing

I checked the wiring from one end to the other. It is insane how many miles there are but there is nothing chewed other than some plastic. I read a previous thread about a similar problem determined to be the stop lamp control. I pulled mine out and found it has some corrosion. I was going to try to get home so I could check the codes to verify the problem but now I can't even get it out of park. I am beyond frustrated.:crying:crying:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts