Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member., although old member on the Sienna Forum (Had a 2014 Sienna)..Purchased this 2017 Toyota Rav4 Limited in January this year...Have driven only a bit over 4000 miles so far w/o any problems...Certainly appreciate all the goodies the Limited has with the exception of the 18in tires..Seems the ride really suffers compared to say 17 inch...Am thinking when these need replacement may bite the bullit and slap on 17" tires and wheels...Have heard the ride is much better..??
Looking forward to lots of information on the RAV knowing many of you have owned them for many years and your knowledge is invaluable for us newbies...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

As far as tires go, what did Toyota install on yours? You could get away just with replacing tires with ones with softer sidewall and maybe going 1 size up to make ride pleasant. Also, it was suggested in one of the posts here, to check tire pressure, one member had 50 psi in tires out of dealer, his RAV had 18" wheels as well, that could be a problem too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good point. My 2016 had 60 psi when I bought it and until I checked the air pressure I thought the ride was very hard. Lowered it to 32 psi and all is well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the info...It came with Bridgstone which I see no problem with so far...And Yep., did check the pressure on initial take home..32 all around which is what is recommended...I believe all Limited series Ravs have the 18 in tires (low profile) and am sure did enhance the sales but I'd rather have a bit more comfort..
I do most of the maintenance such as rotation, oil/filter, battery, etc so pretty much aware of goings on....
Did do several mods., Stripping, darker tinting/front doors windows., dash mat., custom floor mats...I'll post a picture in the future (whenever the weather cools down here in the southwest..115 degrees last 3 days.)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bridgestone are pretty rough tires, i had them on Camry back in the day and Corolla not that long ago. Couldn`t wait to justify replacing them haha. Went with Toyo Proxes ST II for Camry and Nitto Motivo all season for Corolla and what a world of difference that made. Much quiter and comfortable ride. You could try TOYO CELSIUS CUV. They make 235/55/R18s (I think that`s the right size for 18"?) But they pretty bad offroad :) Something to consider.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
About tire pressures, the battle is between having a softer ride and having somewhat better fuel mileage. Another factor where we live is our roads, which are twisty and often mountainous. Having higher pressures improves handling quite a lot. I keep my RAV's tires at 40 psi. Don't mind the increase in road feel, after all it's supposed to be an SUV. Unknown is the effect upon tire wear - have Bridgestone Duelers. My wife's CR-V had more than 50,000 miles on her Duelers and they still weren't worn down to the tread wear warning bars when we had them replaced with new ones for safety since we have a lot of rain and wet roads here.

Am not certain why people complain that larger diameter wheels/tires ride more harshly than those one inch less in diameter. It would seem that the larger ones would ride less harshly over road depressions . . . .

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
An alternative to changing wheels to 17" for a bit softer ride is to go to a plus zero size which for the 235-55R18 is 225-60R18 which gives you virtually the same overall diameter, slightly taller sidewall(60 aspect ratio) and slightly narrower tread, the only problem is availability of tires in that size, it's not as common.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46&

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tire information..It just seems to reason the more sidewall the softer ride....Will certainly keep in mind what you all had to offer, especially Quickdtoo in referencing tirerack.com....That would certainly be the less costly way to go..
Am a long ways to go before replacement and truly, the more I drive the Rav the better I like it..Kinda grows on you,..
Again, Thanks to all...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Believe me.. it`s in human nature.. you will be looking for every excuse to swap those tires from now on, hahaha! Just don`t hit the curbs, you`ll damage the wheels :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do my best to stay away from crubs, although there probably smoother then lots of the roads here in the city..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same here, so many potholes and other road hazard after last winter.. State and towns are not in the hurry to fix anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts