Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, ive just bought myself a nice 98 Rav4 Freesport as a winter runaround and im loving it!....been working through the lack of servicing from previous owners to get it all running tiptop, also fitted an ebay bargain set of steels with 1 week old Continental 850p winter rubber so she is ready for action!

Spent ages trying to find a decent one and think ive may just of found one, it needs some TLC to get it to my standards but its nice solid and straight which are main things.

Couple of pics below, first next to my little Bmw 130i summer transport when i went to view the Rav, next from a wintery Cumbria just after fitting steels with new tyres ready for the snow but it never came any lower!

Ian

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Welcome Ian! Looks like a very good condition RAV4 and it's interesting to see someone as excited about buying an 18 year-old car as another getting a new 2016.

I do have one general question about UK license plates. I see a lot of them on the excellent Wheeler Dealers TV show and always wondered who makes and issues them and if the numbers and letters have any particular significance. Maybe you or someone else can explain it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks yes its in pretty good shape for the age, not many about that havent suffered from rust over here but this one seems ok so far anyhows! :)

License plate wise its quite a long story as there have been many changes over the years, but basically though a plates starts off tied to a specific car when its first registered to be used on roads here, d you have the standard plates which define the year and area in country it was registered, as well as an ID number, so my Rav is an R plate (first letter) which is for year 1998 then 3 numbers which is its ID and last 3 letters (ORR) which are the area in country it was registered, there have been a few changes over the years mainly in the format of plate and the age related numbers which have been located in plate at various positions over the years, current format for cars built after 2001 its something like CW05 HTH with the 05 in this case meaning registered in first part of 2005 so in short an 05 plates, however if it was after September 2005 it would be a 55 plate, as you can see it goes on and on........

When you buy a car you register the car and plate in your name with the DVLA here in uk, however many people have personal plates which usually have a combination of letters or numbers that mean something to them personally like initals etc, as a general rule the less number and letters on a plate the higher the value!..... much older cars had fewer letters/numbers and these plates can be very sought after.
Also you can not put a plate on a car that makes it look younger, so i couldnt put my 06 plate from my BMW on my 98 Rav, but i could put the 98 (R - plate) on the BMW if i wanted but would need another number to go on the Rav if i wanted to use it on road still.

This is an example website for buying personal plates - DVLA Personalised Registrations - Buy private number plates direct from the DVLA. From £250 fully inclusive

HTH

Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts