Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
the only reason to NOT go with the HID upgrade.. is the fact that our headlamps really aren't designed to optimize the HID output, which means you will give alot of glare to oncoming drivers.

not a huge deal, but be prepared to have alot of people flashing their highs at you for blinding them :roll:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks.

The patterns from this kit look to be pretty good from the photos, but I guess you never can tell until you've tried them.

Al

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Alsone said:
OK thanks.

The patterns from this kit look to be pretty good from the photos, but I guess you never can tell until you've tried them.

Al
Well unless you're putting them in that Mercedes....

Has to do with how your headlight housing is setup, not the bulb.

I personally think putting aftermarket HIDs in an SUV with headlamps not designed for them is a crime against humanity, but hey if it makes you feel better...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nouse4aname said:
Well unless you're putting them in that Mercedes....

Has to do with how your headlight housing is setup, not the bulb.

I personally think putting aftermarket HIDs in an SUV with headlamps not designed for them is a crime against humanity, but hey if it makes you feel better...
No but hopefully it will make me see better. :)

B

·
0 Posts
it will definately make you see better... but it will blind ooncoming drivers, so they might crash into you :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess again its a wait and see.

The UK have some of the strictest laws in the world and some of the most aggressive law makers in government. Practically every accessory you can name that involves the exterior and lighting is illegal including under car neon. However, aftermarket Dual Beam HID's are considered legal and will pass the UK MOT which does check beam alignment, although legally it is a slightly grey area at the moment, dual beam remain legal. (Singles are illegal).

Also, searching the forums I've yet to find anyone reporting problems with other drivers, not saying it doesn't exist, only that if it was a major problem you'd expect to get posts about it.

This is taken from the Lexus Owners Club Forums: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=28449&st=50

QUOTE(Bazza @ Dec 15 2005, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE(squarehead @ Dec 15 2005, 10:50 AM)
Looks like I'm getting one of these kits after all!!!

Sorry Mr Singh Dave's sorted 6500 out for me!

Anybody with this kit fitted have any problems with 1) Police and legality of them and 2) Do you ever get flashed by other drivers with the postioning / brightness of them due to the IS200 not having autolevelling?

Cheers!

1) no, they are legal
2) no, and i dont even have manual levelling

EDIT: If I do get a kit, I'll try and post some before and after pictures of the lights on the road to show the difference in beam width sp other RAV owners know whether or not its a safe conversion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just thought I'd let anyone interested in HID know.

I just spoke to my insurance company and they've given me full permission to fit these units without any effect on my premium.

Al.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Alsone, welcome to the forums. :D

Just because the insurance company gives permission to install them in your RAV; doesn't make it safe to do so. :?

I've noticed your posts regarding not finding anywhere on the net that says it is dangerous to install HiD lights in your reflector housings. I'll mention it again that I've been there and done that with HID lighting.

If you put HID into your RAVs reflector housing, it will blind oncoming traffic and also those cars directly in front of you. Even with re-aiming my headlights to the lowest position possible, it will not make a difference.

The only true way to install HID into your car is to go with a projector system. This will provide a cutoff beam pattern that will not blind others. There are some factory cars out there that run HID on a reflector headlamp, but they were designed from the factory to control the beam pattern and reduce glare.

Here is some picts. of my RAV with projector setup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Derek,

With the greatest respect I think it depends on the kit in question.

The problem with retrofit kits as I understand it is they have a tendancy to have the focal point in a different position to that of the OEM bulbs with the result that the light is reflected around the reflector in a different way to that which was intended. Quite often, HID bulbs are a bit longer than a standard bulb and thus have the focal point a little further forwards.

If you have a kit which is correctly designed to maintain the focal point of the orginal bulb, then I see no reason why light should spill more. Ultimately the only difference should be the amount of light output rather than the pattern / focal point for HID. Its no different in principle to swopping your standard conventional H4's out for high wattage conventional H4's. The light output is more but the focal point and spread for both H4 bulbs is the same. I've seen many cars with high wattage bulbs in and whilst they are brighter coming towards you, I've had little problem with them provided they've had low beam on and have had correctly adjusted head lamps. (I would point out in the UK at least, high wattage bulbs are illegal).

So ultimately I would say it depends on the design of the bulb used in the retro fit kit and possibly the bulb holder as any kit that retains the same focal point as an oem bulb within the reflector shouldn't cause serious problems. It will be brighter and thus slightly more dazzling than a lower wattage bulb but the pattern should be retained.

I'm unable to identify which kits do this. Maybe your kit was one of those that didn't maintain the original focal point and thus caused a lot more light spill resulting in the problems for other drivers.

This is another pic from that companies web site (I am in no way endorsing them nor do I have any connection to them business wise).

This is a Range Rover retro fit and the result looks quite good to me.

Also a motorbike:

Clearly the light is brighter but again a careful look at the pattern of the right bulb compared to the left seems to show a very similar light spill. I believe the narrow patch of light on the HID one to the left of the headlamp (not circled) is lens flare not spill.

Al.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Alsone,

The HID bulb/ballast that I installed on my RAV with the reflector headlights in place were actually from a factory setup. It was Hella ballasts and D2S (shielded) xenon bulbs. It still glared. Good luck with the HID kit you will go with.

For more info. on installing into a 4.2 RAV like yours, please check out RAV4OZ.com forums. Their was a forum member there (Simon a.k.a. StormCrow) that put in some aftermarket HID kit with good results. I believe they also have an install PDF too.

Derek :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK cheers Derek.

Maybe you were just unlucky (or maybe I'm going to be unlucky too!).

I think I'm prepared to take a chance simply because of the gains in fitting HID over normal halogen. Povided I'm not getting flashed all the time, I'll be happy.

Also, fitting new lamps entirely is likely to cause insurance problems in the UK as it would be classified as a modification in that you've modified the external appearance of the vehicle.

I do like the projectors you fitted though, nice work.

As an aside, do you know if the air bags are still ok (functional) post fitment? I see the Toyota manual warns against even fitting a cd player for this reason! I'm sure its just Toyota excercising caution against potential law suits, but thought I'd better check with you anyway.

Al.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Alsone, I am certain the airbag deployment will not be an issue with what you are intending to do. The only thing that will affect them is if you mess around too much with the wiring and such. Most HID kits are plug-and-play and do not affect the wiring in any way. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Don't know if you had the chance to check out RAV4OZ.com, but here is the PDF download on StormCrow's RAV4.2 with HIDs:

http://rav4oz.compact4wd.com/main_Reviews_ECA.asp

Good luck. Derek

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK thanks, looks like a good tutorial.

If I go ahead, I'll post some before and after pics if possible to try to assist anyone else who's contemplating the merits of a retro fit.

I spoke to my insurance company again today, and have now taken out their policy complete with permission to fit the lighting at no extra premium cost. So all things are go on the insurance side of things.

Al.

T

·
0 Posts
a bit of forum search will help, me and few other rav 4.2 owner has already done that, the HID kid, as long as it has a shield will yield ok result, if you want really wanna have good result you must go with HID lense retrofit, check out my album.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts