Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have 6000k HID's and they appeared white. I may have seen 8000k before, but didn't know it. is 8000k very very blue or just has a hint of blue? photos anyone? detailed descriptions?

I don't want it to stand out too much and look cheap. But a tint of blue would be nice.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the 8000k one only b/c the 6000k was out of stock. I was looking forward to the blue, but was a bit worried about legalities. The 8000k after installed appeared whiter than the 6000k. It doesn't make sense, but it's definitely more white. When the lights first turn on to warm up, it appears with a slight taint of green....but turns completely white in seconds. i liked the old 6000k that turned on blue but eventually turned more white.

The brand I bought was Super Vision HID.

X

·
0 Posts
i recomend 6000k, all the kits that the dealer request from us are 6000k, also the rav4 06 has a very good headlight design so we can take advantage of that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
how are the hids in the 2004 rav4's? lots of glare? flashed by anyone? or even worse cops? are people just doing the normal swap out with hid bulbs ballast, and a new wiring harness relayed into the existing circut?

thanks
Eric

D

·
0 Posts
get the 6000k one, its have real nice white with a hint of blue
8000k ones, if live in a bright community, u'll be okay, but otherwise, its really blue, and it will stress your eye real quick

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They ran out of 6000k, so I picked up the 8000k and it works great. It ignites a greenish color, but I think I'm the only one who notices that. After the headlights are on for a few seconds, it turns whitish. It's more blue than the 6000k, but still good. it's not completely blue. i'll get photos when i get my camera back.

R

·
0 Posts
Please post some pictures of RAVs with HID lights. I'm very interested on HID but I'm kinda fearing for the car's warranty

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have found a suppliers who sells a 8000 kit for about USD 175.00, what should I be looking out for? What must the kit have in order for me to consider it? Whay is the life expectancy of these lights any way? Are the bulbs expensive? Will these work well with our existing headlights given that they were never designed for HID?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Most HIDs output are described:

6000K = White
6500K = White/Hint of Blue
8000K = White/more Blue (like BMW)

8000K is quite bright for normal driving...anyone in front of your vehicle will find the output a little offended.

I use 6500K on my showcar and it satisfies my driving visibility...bright to a certain extent but will not feel like a high beam is on.

We have tried placing 8000K on a Supra and the output is so blinding...it hurts your pupils.

And we tried using 10000K on ex-boss's truck, HOLY COW...it's like staring at the sun up close! After less than 1 min staring at it non-stop...we literally saw white dots/specs floating around us.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Responses:

a) My 8000k bulb died within a yr and I replaced one of them with a 6000k. So basically there's a 8000k bulb on one side and a 6000k on the other. It looks hideous. The 6000k lights up whiter than the 8000k, but after 10 seconds it switches around. The 8000k is much whiter. Not really blue. I hate blue. 8000k highly recommended.

b) Look for a kit that is plug and play. These HID's aftermarket ones are illegal now, so you might have a hard time finding a set in California.

c) Though they were not designed for non-projection headlamps like ours on the 4.2, it's not too bad. I've been high beamed twice in a 2 yr period. They thought I had my high beams on. I high beamed back so they knew I wasn't on high beam already. They stopped and all was fine. Never been pulled over by a cop (crossing fingers).

d) Mine are made by Super Vision a not so famous brand. They are plug and play and work just fine. The bulbs however do need to be replaced every year. And that's a 80 dollar hit each time for a pair. Well worth it though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts