Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a good idea to stop moisture from getting into the headlight from my HID install? The hold I had to drill into the back of it for the rubber grommet is causing water to get in. Any idea on a gasket I can buy to help seal better?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I've found all sorts of gaskets, grommets, etc. at our local Ace Hardware store, and they're much less expensive than trying to obtain them from car dealers.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
I would use some good silicone RTV to seal up the hole.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did your HID kit come with "slim" ballasts? If so, they will fit into the low beam housing. I was afraid of heat dissipation issues, but in the last two and a half years of running them on an almost nightly basis (in Southern California, nothing cold), I haven't had a single issue.

If that sounds like something you want to do, the part number for replacing the covers you already drilled is 81135-42520 and they're around 10 bucks a pop.

Here are some pictures: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/213130-did-couple-things-my-4-4-mod-list-gallery.html#post1994946

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm way more concerned about how you did that install... why did you need to drill anything?
Bulbs should be plug and play. Ballasts can get tucked or stuck wherever.

You shouldn't have had to do any permanent modification at all...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were the slim ballast HID 9005 Xtreme kit from xenondepot.com and required drilling holes into the low beam cover for installation to run the wires into the headlight assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts