Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about do an HID kit install. Also been looking at the Kensun 35W 5000k kit, would you guys recommend 35W or 55W? Also what do I do about the dust cap?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been thinking about do an HID kit install. Also been looking at the Kensun 35W 5000k kit, would you guys recommend 35W or 55W? Also what do I do about the dust cap?
35W should be plenty, especially if you have fog lights. I switched out my halogens with Kensun 35W 4300K bulbs and there is a lot more foreground light than you'd expect, even though the headlight projectors are meant for halogen bulbs. When I turn on the fog lights, it's a wall of light in front of my RAV4.

As for the dust cap, you don't need to modify it in anyway. I simply stuffed the ballast and wires into the headlight housing and it all fit. I've had no problems since I installed the HID kit over 6 months ago.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlight housing has enough room for everything? Hmm that's nice, would you mind posting pics or vids?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Kensun HiD kit. Personal experience include the brightness fading after 6 months and random burning (factory defect) when installed on a brand new scion xd (had the headlight replaced under Toyota warranty) My suggestion would be go with DDM tuning. You get lifetime warranty and they aren't as expensive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
How does the hid system work when the rav 4 has the drl's?
DRLs are on the high beam, they don't impact the projectors.

HID can not be used on the high beams with DRL enabled.

This may be different on the '16.
My Corolla runs the DRLs on the projectors (LED)... and honestly there is very little difference in the beam.

·
Registered
63 Posts
DRLs are on the high beam, they don't impact the projectors.

HID can not be used on the high beams with DRL enabled.

This may be different on the '16.
My Corolla runs the DRLs on the projectors (LED)... and honestly there is very little difference in the beam.
I have a 2016 and the drl use the projector/low beam but with a halogen bulb. Even with halogen turning on the headlights only makes it the slightest bit brighter from the drl. I just wonder how the hid would react to the quick current changes between settings

·
Registered
45 Posts
Which kit from Ddm tuning did you use? Did you use the 29.99 kit?
Yes, I am using the 5000k/35W set on both high and low beam lights.

I disabled the DRL's using the head unit inside car settings.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hows the brightness of the system on low beam? Do they take long to come to full brightness?(I read a few bad things about DDM Tuning but I dont wanna let that distract me)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hows the brightness of the system on low beam? Do they take long to come to full brightness?(I read a few bad things about DDM Tuning but I dont wanna let that distract me)
Seriously, go with a Morimoto system from Theretrofitsource.
They light off pretty quickly... full brightness within 5-10 seconds except in very cold weather (under 30)

I had horrible experiences with DDM customer service, and in 2009 they actually removed their phone numbers from the web site claiming that it kept them from taking care of people in a fair order.

But even with the Morimoto, which is the best quality you're going to get short of Denso (which are not water resistant), I was not happy with them.
I went through so many ballasts that I got to the point that I kept an extra set in the back.
The icing on the cake was when the harness failed and the connector to the relay box burned out, leaving me without any way to power the lights at 9pm 40 miles from home.
First thing the next morning, I pulled the system and put the stock housings back in. There was nothing wrong with the factory housings and halogen... it was just that the projectors looked trick and the beam pattern was nice.

TRS took good care of me, no hassle at all on exchanging the bad ballasts, but I leave for work at 5am and get home at 6... I need reliable lighting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They take 2-3 seconds to warm up. I'll post a video later tonight if I have time.

Personally, I haven't had issues with DDM Tuning, and have even warrantied a unit from them for another car with no issues. That being said, I live within 20 miles of one of their locations, so I only deal with them in person. I have no idea how they deal with customers otherwise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yea I've been considering the Morimoto XB35's. @thedlv I'm looking forward to that video!
Sorry this took so long, but here's the video! I turn the headlights off about a second after they reach full brightness. I find them to acceptably bright for driving after about 3 seconds, and just let them continue to warm up after that point:

https://youtu.be/pllEpwA_vDw

·
Registered
63 Posts
Installed HIDS in my 2016 RAV4. I used a capacitor for them since the drls are the low beams on these vehicles. Now with the capacitor when in drl mode it takes those "pulse" signal waves and turns them into a constant on. In other words my "drls" are now my HIDS turned on, technically not drls anymore? Lol

I am curious about one thing. I live in a smaller town and luckily work here as well. Everything is a 5-10 minute drive through town. Is it bad to drive with HIDS on for such short time then off and back on again?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I honestly don't know on the newer, higher quality OEM systems.
When I was using HID for scuba lighting, if you didn't leave it on for 15-20 minutes, AND didn't also leave it off for at least 10, they would develop brown spots on the inside of the gas envelope that would eventually cause problems, as well as lead to hard light-off.

Cheaper aftermarket systems may still have the same problem.
Honestly, I would look at the LED systems on the hybrid and Corolla and seriously consider going with those.
HID are slowly going the way of sealed beams.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I honestly don't know on the newer, higher quality OEM systems.
When I was using HID for scuba lighting, if you didn't leave it on for 15-20 minutes, AND didn't also leave it off for at least 10, they would develop brown spots on the inside of the gas envelope that would eventually cause problems, as well as lead to hard light-off.

Cheaper aftermarket systems may still have the same problem.
Honestly, I would look at the LED systems on the hybrid and Corolla and seriously consider going with those.
HID are slowly going the way of sealed beams.
I have been considering these kinds of systems. Do you know if well known reliable companies that make leds? Or where to find the Toyota systems?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts