Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Hiding wires for your aftermarket electronics [Video]

3K views 7 replies 1 participant last post by  zoomie 
#1 ·
And YES YES YES, this is a brand new thing!.....DO IT YOURSELF VIDEO TUTORIALS! Make your own and upload 'em to the google site at video.google.com so we can save Kelly from getting bombarded with bandwidth as I'm sure he's already experiencing with so many uploaded photos on this rav4world site. (Thank you Kelly) And now for the VERY 1st RAV4 VIDEO TUTORIAL OF ALL TIME:

HIDING WIRES FOR YOUR AFTERMARKET ELECTRONICS:

If you're like me, you don't know much about electronics but love having all these gadgets and lights and stuff, but don't know how to hook it up other than through the cigarette lighter. If you've seen my website, you'll know i'm a crazy light man with a bunch of gunk everywhere. While wires originally stuck out from the cigarette lighter next to the ash tray, I've since found a nice place to hide all the wires for a cleaner look.

Here's a surprise for you that shows just where to hide all those wires. You'll need a cigarette adapter splitter to feed off the cigarette lighter thingy that's next to the e-brake.

STEP 1: Buy cigarette lighter adapter splitter
STEP 2: Plug it into the cigarette lighter next to your e-brake. it stands out a lot less than the one next to your ash tray (coin holder)
STEP 3: Pull the wire down btw the arm rest and passenger seat.
STEP 4: Run the wire under the plastic flap alongside the armrest console.
STEP 5: Hide the wires here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7763725546868240117&q=rav40

Are you making fun of my voice?

See less See more
G
#2 ·
zoomie said:
And YES YES YES, this is a brand new thing!.....DO IT YOURSELF VIDEO TUTORIALS! Make your own and upload 'em to the google site at video.google.com so we can save Kelly from getting bombarded with bandwidth as I'm sure he's already experiencing with so many uploaded photos on this rav4world site. (Thank you Kelly) And now for the VERY 1st RAV4 VIDEO TUTORIAL OF ALL TIME:

HIDING WIRES FOR YOUR AFTERMARKET ELECTRONICS:

If you're like me, you don't know much about electronics but love having all these gadgets and lights and stuff, but don't know how to hook it up other than through the cigarette lighter. If you've seen my website, you'll know i'm a crazy light man with a bunch of gunk everywhere. While wires originally stuck out from the cigarette lighter next to the ash tray, I've since found a nice place to hide all the wires for a cleaner look.

Here's a surprise for you that shows just where to hide all those wires. You'll need a cigarette adapter splitter to feed off the cigarette lighter thingy that's next to the e-brake.

STEP 1: Buy cigarette lighter adapter splitter
STEP 2: Plug it into the cigarette lighter next to your e-brake. it stands out a lot less than the one next to your ash tray (coin holder)
STEP 3: Pull the wire down btw the arm rest and passenger seat.
STEP 4: Run the wire under the plastic flap alongside the armrest console.
STEP 5: Hide the wires here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7763725546868240117&q=rav40

Are you making fun of my voice?
Thanks for the video! 8) I don't have too many gadgets right now that use constant power from cigarette lighters (except for my Ionic Breeze - which plugs in directly into the cigarette lighter), but I would definitely make use of the technique when I get my satellite radio receiver.

#4 ·
So sorry. I'll have to use a flashlight next time. (The INSTALL K&N AIR FILTER tutorial in the DIY section has much better lighting). I think when google verified the video they may have changed the format or done something to it. It wasn't that dark before.

Basicallly, there's one plastic screw down there that holds that piece together. Carefully remove that and tug the plastic cover and you'll see a space where you can hide the wiring.

G
#5 ·
I checked out the opening that zoomie pointed out through his video. One word of caution: make sure that all wires (as well as your own fingers) stay away from the heater rods. They are very visible when the side cover is removed. Even without the cover removed, I gave myself a little burn when I tried to feel around the area to "scout" out a place to hide the wires of my Clarion iPod adapter.

When I tried to but the side cover back on, I accidentally broke the snap peg that holds the cover in place. :( Regardless, the cover still stays, even with a broken peg holding it in place. :lol:

#6 ·
EHinthe604: So sorry about the burn. I burnt myself too a few months ago, but totally forgot about it. I kinda feel like it's my fault that you got hurt, and I'm not really sure what I can do from where I am in the Bay Area to help. I got an idea, but it won't necessarily help the burn. Hopefully, it'll just distract you from your pain. I recently made a new modification on my car. It's a cosmetic garnish thing: carbon fiber backing for the emblem. If you want one, I'll make one and send it to you. Just PM me your address and I'll have it sent to you ASAP. It looks like this: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/351327/25

Everyone else: Don't go burning yourself. I don't have anymore carbon fiber sheets. And believe me. It's not worth the burn. Be safe.

Sorry I didn't warn you guys about the plastic screws; they are very delicate. I broke mine too! It still holds so i guess it's okay.

WARNING: EHinthe604 and me remind you that there is a heat rod in that area where I recommended hiding the wires. It is VERY VERY VERY HOT!....hotter than a pot of boiling water. No joke, so be very very careful not to touch a silver rod. Touching it quickly is not a good way to see if it's hot. Make sure you let you car cool down completely before attempting to access the panel. And when you locate stuff, be sure to keep it away from the rod.

G
#7 ·
zoomie said:
EHinthe604: So sorry about the burn. I burnt myself too a few months ago, but totally forgot about it. I kinda feel like it's my fault that you got hurt, and I'm not really sure what I can do from where I am in the Bay Area to help. I got an idea, but it won't necessarily help the burn. Hopefully, it'll just distract you from your pain. I recently made a new modification on my car. It's a cosmetic garnish thing: carbon fiber backing for the emblem. If you want one, I'll make one and send it to you. Just PM me your address and I'll have it sent to you ASAP. It looks like this: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/351327/25

Everyone else: Don't go burning yourself. I don't have anymore carbon fiber sheets. And believe me. It's not worth the burn. Be safe.

Sorry I didn't warn you guys about the plastic screws; they are very delicate. I broke mine too! It still holds so i guess it's okay.

WARNING: EHinthe604 and me remind you that there is a heat rod in that area where I recommended hiding the wires. It is VERY VERY VERY HOT!....hotter than a pot of boiling water. No joke, so be very very careful not to touch a silver rod. Touching it quickly is not a good way to see if it's hot. Make sure you let you car cool down completely before attempting to access the panel. And when you locate stuff, be sure to keep it away from the rod.
Zoomie... PLEASE don't worry... I burnt myself sometime last weekend, way before I watched your video. :) It was sometime last weekend (either Friday or Saturday), right after I plugged in my Clarion iPod adapter, that I burnt myself, when I was trying to feel around for a good place to hide my wires. Don't worry... I wasn't left bleeding or blistered or scarred or anything... it was just a "damn, that was hot" kinda burn, and pulled back before there was any sustained injury. :)

Just to show the other readers, in relative terms, how hot the steel rods are - or how hot they could be - consider that they are the in and out pipes between the radiator and the heater core. :) Also, consider that, as Zoomie said, that the rods are hotter than boiling water (since water + coolant = higher boiling point than 100C/212F).

BTW, the same technique for opening the side panel of the dash also applies to the driver's side, right? I just need to find the same opening on the driver side for wiring my four-channel amp, if/when I find any extra post-Christmas cash to buy one. I do have a two-channel amp now, with the power, ground and in/out leads for my front speakers professionally installed, but for a four-channel, I have to route an extra pair of RCA signal wires and speaker wires between my dash head unit and my under-seat amplifier.

Again... Zoomie, please don't worry! :)

#8 ·
EHinthe604: Glad you're okay! I was concerned b/c when I burned myself it hurt like a @#$1. It wasn't a pain that sustained after i took my hand away, but it was definitely hotter than anything i've ever touched before. I snapped my hand back lightening fast. If you like the carbon fiber thing, i can still send it to you if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.