Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I have a 2015 RAV4 XLE AWD,I ordered a set of LED's for my high beams:https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Hea...&qid=1504372491&sr=8-1&keywords=beamtech&th=1

It flickered if I was not using high beams. I contacted the seller and got a free set of decoders.(They look like this:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51dmjh-swPL._SL1000_.jpg)

I installed them and now I notice when I have my DRL on,the LED's are always at full brightness.(including parking light mode).

I was wondering if this was normal for decoders. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
245 Posts
The DRL's are flickering or the high beam bulbs are flickering...?
I'm trying to understand what the problem is.
You have your high beams on while in DRL mode?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DRL's are flickering or the high beam bulbs are flickering...?
I'm trying to understand what the problem is.
You have your high beams on while in DRL mode?
The DRL was flickering,I installed the decoders. So now there is no flickering at all,but now the LED's run at full brightness in DRL and Parking Lights modes

·
Registered
47 Posts
The DRL was flickering,I installed the decoders. So now there is no flickering at all,but now the LED's run at full brightness in DRL and Parking Lights modes
LED systems flicker if they are not designed to be dimmed. So the decoders take care of the flickering but the LED will run at full brightness. Recently I had this problem in my shop. Most of my lighting is LED or fluorescent and my non-dimming LED's came on flickering like a disco and the fluorescents only partially lit. The problem turned out to be a loose fitting on the overhead line supplying my shop. I had 150 vac on one leg and 80 vac on the other leg. We killed the power and re-terminated the connections and balance between legs was restored. There are many great technical articles on the net explaining why this happens. LED's overall provide great light but they do have their idiosyncrasies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts