Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2006 RAV4 Limited (4cyl) in black. Very nice vehicle. Our other vehicle is a 2002 Highlander V6 Limited.

Anyway, one thing I thought is strange is the high beam pattern. It seems to have a lot of "flecks" of light, like stray reflections. So instead of being a smooth wash of light, there are brights "flecks" on the road and in the ditches which I find distracting.

In particular, there is a fairly bright spot on the right shoulder with the highs on shaped like a half moon. Has anyone else noticed this?

Our Highlander does not have this problem, it has a very even bright light that blankets everything (which is why I noticed it right away).

This vehicle is great!

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Congrats!!

I'm sure it has to do with the jewel facet style of reflector -- I'm sure it's engineered to provide a somewhat optimal light spread, but it's likely distracting those those like you that notice it's effects.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Yea I noticed this last night driving home on a dark highway. Living in the city high beams are rarely used. It was not distracting to me but I did notice it. I did not notice the half moon on the right side. I did change the bulbs to a set of the aftermarket GE Nighthawks bulbs tho..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies,

Here are some pics of the patterns. Notice the large half moon shape of light to the right on the high beam pics. Its hard to see in the pictures, but the second picture shows the stray patterns best. It was a crappy night weather wise so they aren't the greatest pics.

Low beam

High beam

High beam

High beam

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The reflector is a complex surface and sometimes a design or manufacturing flaw there or in the lens can creep in that results in unwanted hot spots in the beam pattern. Hopefully another owner can test theirs also and let you know whether it's specific to yours or not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks

Your pictures are very helpful.

I might swap out the headlight and put a projector light to have even spread.
Thanks for your replies,

Here are some pics of the patterns. Notice the large half moon shape of light to the right on the high beam pics. Its hard to see in the pictures, but the second picture shows the stray patterns best. It was a crappy night weather wise so they aren't the greatest pics.

Low beam

High beam

High beam

High beam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts