Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with high end Air Purifiers like
IQ ?

I have looked into Venmar air exchange units for the home but it's not what i need.

The IQ air purifiers clear up particulate mater and that's what i want.

So if anyone has any experience with reliability or things like filter costs to look out for i would apreciate it.

Thanks, Walt

M

·
0 Posts
I don't know if this is the sort of air purifier you mean, but I used to use an air ioniser to remove smoke from the air in my office. They remove all sorts of fine particles, like pollen and smoke, don't know about larger particles, like dust, but almost anything that could be ionised would be removed.

The filter was a coarse aluminium mesh to which the charged particles stuck. To get cleaned up, this was just rinsed with water and replaced.

It was well and good, and it did the job, but too well. My sinuses didn't like the squeaky-clean air it produced... maybe I need some pollution. :) And anything left in front of it would pick up a charge too. Try it with a piece of fuzzy fabric in the dark, and run your hand lightly over it - thousands of tiny little sparks.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you bought the ioniser they forgot to tell you that you need to buy the de-ioniser. :wink: :lol:

Serioursly though, I have seen many of the ioniser ones on TV and I like the fact that there is no filters.

The IQ ones are much more expensive and uses activated carbon and active aluminum and eleminate gases too. I had seen it in a documentary for asma patients and I believe it is the best on the market but very, very expensive.

Here is a link
http://www.airpurifiers.com/airpurifiersproducts/iqair/measuringhepa.htm

·
Registered
422 Posts
The ionizer ones generate ozone, which is probably why your sinuses didn't like it, Modderrhu. Ionizers are great for getting rid of the aftermath of a fire or suchlike (it's what companies like Servpro use to do just that, only theirs are much more powerful), but not so good for day to day living. They can actually impair your ability to smell (which of course makes them seem even more effective), and the ozone can aggravate asthma (in spite of the claims of many of these filters that they help asthma).

Becky

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of fires. When are neighbors house caught on fire the insurance company paid a fortune out to the contract company and to house the owners for living expenses. Instead of replacing all damaged 2X4's they just used a sealer on what they could get away with. :eek:

·
Registered
875 Posts
mionee67 said:
Does anyone have any experience with high end Air Purifiers like
IQ ?

I have looked into Venmar air exchange units for the home but it's not what i need.

The IQ air purifiers clear up particulate mater and that's what i want.

So if anyone has any experience with reliability or things like filter costs to look out for i would apreciate it.

Thanks, Walt
I did a quick search for you and found something similar to the one I have. Sharper Image carries the Ionic Breeze in refurbished condition for more than 50% off. THat's how I got mine. Hope this helps: http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/sku__SI381YYY

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Zoomie, :) I think i will still do more research on them though.
My friend owns a home heating company and might have some input.
I have to call him anyhow to see if we can make mods to the intake to add a 3M disposable filter to work with our current electro static filter.

Cheers Walt :D

E

·
0 Posts
I use both an in-car Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image (plugged into the console cigarette outlet) and an Ionic Car Air Purifier from Brookstone (plugged into the cigarette outlet in the cargo hold). I'm happy with both. When I cleaned out the electrodes of the Ionic Breeze, I realized how much crap it cleaned out of the air! :shock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
I use both an in-car Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image (plugged into the console cigarette outlet) and an Ionic Car Air Purifier from Brookstone (plugged into the cigarette outlet in the cargo hold). I'm happy with both. When I cleaned out the electrodes of the Ionic Breeze, I realized how much crap it cleaned out of the air! :shock:
Did you try the Ionic Pro Air Purifier is has a easy push button operation and it was good too.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been so long since I posted this article :shock:

I research & did buy an IQ system

But now I own a Golden Retriever :roll:

Cheers, Walt :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts