Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '98 RAV4 with 110,000 mi. Manual trans.

For the last 3000 mi, I've been periodically seeing a VERY high idle speed - sometimes around 2200 RPM, even though the engine is not cold. Sometimes, I can shut the engine off at a red light, start it back up, and it will then idle normally...

Of course, my gas mileage has taken a major hit from all this.

Before I take it into the shop, is there anything I could check on / fix myself? What can cause a high idle speed?

·
Registered
880 Posts
pixelguru said:
I've got a '98 RAV4 with 110,000 mi. Manual trans.

For the last 3000 mi, I've been periodically seeing a VERY high idle speed - sometimes around 2200 RPM, even though the engine is not cold. Sometimes, I can shut the engine off at a red light, start it back up, and it will then idle normally...

Of course, my gas mileage has taken a major hit from all this.

Before I take it into the shop, is there anything I could check on / fix myself? What can cause a high idle speed?
Check that the throttle cable isn't sticking by looking under the hood and macking sure the pulley returns all the way to it's resting position.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not throttle

Doesn't look like it's a sticky throttle. I manually pushed on the throttle while it was idling abnormally high, and the cable was not stuck.

It's acting like the choke is thinking the engine is cold when it isn't.

Could this be a thermostat related problem, or is there something related to the choke that could get sticky?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: not throttle

pixelguru said:
Doesn't look like it's a sticky throttle. I manually pushed on the throttle while it was idling abnormally high, and the cable was not stuck.

It's acting like the choke is thinking the engine is cold when it isn't.

Could this be a thermostat related problem, or is there something related to the choke that could get sticky?

Thanks for your help!
Might be the dirty throttle body other people talk about here, I haven't had that problem yet. Do a search, I thin someone had a link to instructions for cleaning it.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Could it be the coolant temperature sensor ? it could cause strange idle problems... I know some people have had problems with it in the past...
Dunno if that's your problem though, just a thought...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry I havn't been around for awhile so this is a rather old post, maybe you've solved your idle problem. Another thing that can cause a high idle is a vacume leak. It allows unregistered air into the engine past the throttly body position. Not likely to be a random thing tho. To check for vacume leaks you can listen closely for air sucking in. Or, take a can of brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner and while the engine is idling spray it around suspect areas. If there is a leak there it will suck it in and slow down the idle. Another cause of high idle can be the idle control motor. It's an electrical device that opens and closes inside the throttle body to allow air by to control the idle speed. They can get dirty with time and stick. You can unscrew it from the throttle body and clean it and re-install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts