Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rav4 has been off the road for a while but I keep it dry stored. noticed last year when I took it home from mot the idle was at 1200rpm when warm but I did not put it on the road last winter so back in garage. This year same thing took it out, its runs at around 800rpm when cold and 1200 rpm when hot which should be the other way round. The emmissions were higher too as it just scraped through the mot with a bit of help from the tester:wink.
I'm thinking temperature sensor but I don't want to start throwing parts at it as I'm not sure what will cure it, so any help much appreciated. Rav also seems to be more thirsty than usual:crying.
regards kev

Sorry forgot to add its the 3s-fe engine iirc in case you need that info

·
Registered
599 Posts
Both my RAV's did that when I got them, the idle air control valves were gunked up and stuck. you can remove the IAC without taking the throttle body off, but its a bit tight in there, otherwise take the whole lot off and clean it all while your at it

Reactions: Gunner

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aussie, sorry I was so long replying, I hope to get time to look at it on the weekend, but at least now hopefully thanks to your advice its a quick fix:smile.
regards kev

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just came across your youtube vid tonight "cleaning a damaged iac valve on blue" back in 2013. Very informative video m8 thanks.
regards kev

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it all sorted yesterday Aussie, idle valve was sticking due to a bit of heavy grime and carbon built up around it so its ticking over normally now. the throttle cable is sticking slightly or the spring on the throttle body is weak which keeps it ticking over at 1000rpm instead of 800. if I tuck my foot under the pedal and pull it back towards me it drops to 800.
Took a short run after fixing it and the engine seems to pull smoother and its more lively or maybe its my imagination.

·
Registered
599 Posts
No worries mate, glad it was helpful (I really need to re-shoot a proper vid, I think those 2 were too dark). coolant leakage from that warmup passage is another issue, but if your gasket is fresh or you used sealant it will hold fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a leased 2015 RAV4 that from the start has always idled too high; high is about 1200 and low about 900.
I just got it back from the 5000 mile Toyota care but they didn't have time to look at it.
Anyway, I doubt that this is a dirty anything issue but I wish there were a screw I could twist; I bet it affects my gas mileage.
This has the 2.5 liter and a new 6 speed automatic transmission; mostly it shifts so smooth I don't notice it except at around 38 MPH.
Hopefully I can get the local Toyota place, where I leased it from, to look at it soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts