Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello every one!!! im a newbie to this forum, but not a newbie to TOYOTA automobiles.

I recently purchased a 2006 RAV4 Sport with an I4 motor. I traded my Double cab TUNDRA I Force V8 for this cute ute. Im getting tired of paying between $60~65 a week for gas. So far, I have about 80 miles on it already and its 2 days old. This is where my question will start. I put roughly 25k to 30k miles a year on my vehicles and wanted to know if my 4 cylinder engine will hold up to around 200,000 miles cause im trying to keep this car for a long time. Im religious about my Oil changes usually every 3k miles and fanatic about MOBIL 1 Full Synthetic oil. Every now and then I put the pedal to the metal to let the carbon out but other that that i take care of my cars. I shouldnt ask this question cause i use full synthetic on my cars. but now i have a baby coming up and maybe try to save little money by switching to regular oil, should i do it?

Your kindness and consideration regarding this matter is highly appreciated.

thank you!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welcome ChEckmAtE,
I too traded a Tundra for a RAV4.

I think your being fanatical about changing your oil every 3K has been what has served you best. Mobil 1 is a great product but a good quality natural oil will work just fine for 3K.

I take a vehicle to 120K but have plenty of friends and family that go 200K or longer. Non-synthetic oil has served them well. And, mine never burned oil between changes.

You'll be fine - Just change your oil as always.

Oh, and maybe someone with a 2.4 liter from generation RAV4.2 with many more miles on it can give you some advice on issues down the road. You have basically the same motor as the 2.0 liter starting in 2001 with an increase in displacement in 2004 to 2.4 liters. I know there were other incremental changes, but the longevity question will still be valid.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I went 5K with Mobil 1 and had a valve tick ever after on a motor with just 50K on it. I know 5K-7.5k oil changes work for some people but for me...never again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
200k and 3k oil changes

I read an article recently about how Americans still have it in their minds that it's time to get rid of a car after 60 - 70k miles. In the opinion of the author, todays cars (any brand) could typically achieve 200 - 300 k when properly maintained. Maintained meaning regular oil changes, timing belts changed when required etc.

IMHO the concept of 3k oil changes was developed by the Jiffy Lubes of the world. No mfg'r recommends changing oil at that mileage interval. Consumer Reports did tests a few years back using N.Y.C. cabs and could find no evidence (after completly breaking the engines down) that changing oil at 3k vs 5k was of any value. Nor was there any significant change in the condition of the oil between 3k & 5k. I suspect that "RAV4HER" would have experienced valve tick on that car no matter what.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
30K miles per year implies a lot of freeway driving - is that correct?

If so, I suggest doubling the oil change interval to 6000 or 7500 miles, stick with Mobil 1, and replace the filter at the halfway point, if you are truly anal. You can buy Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs for US$24 at WalMart.

If your driving is really "severe" (stop-and-go, dusty, or towing) then stick with 3000 mile changes and use dino oil for the cash savings.

Dino oil is good, but synthetic is superb.

John Davies
Spokane WA

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you keep a "common" vehicle 10 years and sell it. Most of your potential buyers don't care what oil you used. They just want a cheap set of wheels that will run until the day it's not worth fixing any more. Then it's hello junkyard.

In those cases, you will be better off and out less in the long run by not using an expensive oil. For everything else - there's Master Card and Mobil 1.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wish i had my shop in the states... here people moan about 10k oil changes :).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mobil 1, if anyone remembers, was touted as the oil with 25,000 miles between oil changes. It really could produce good results under these conditions, the problem is consumers thought they never had to check the oil. Since some engines lose oil one way or another, many had to replace engines. After that, a guarantee of 25,000 miles between oil changes came off the label.

What you need to remember is, what oil can do it does very well. It lubricate parts, suspends contaminants, and helps cool the engine. If it maintains its chemical composition, it will continue to do its job. That is why flushing away good oil before its time is foolish or thinking that some special additive will help the oil in your engine do its job better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is why flushing away good oil before its time is foolish or thinking that some special additive will help the oil in your engine do its job better.
Are you saying STP isn't the racers edge? Ah, you probably have to be old to understand the reference.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2002 Tundra with 330,000 miles on it. I have followed all the service recommendations but I do stretch my oil change intervals to 7500-10000 miles. Never have problems and doesn't leak a drop of oil. I have a courier business and drive my vehicles 10000+ miles per month. If I followed the 3000 mile rule I would be changing my oil weekly. I try to go a month before changing.

I have a RAV4 now and already have 15000 miles on it (bought May 2006). I intend to keep the same routine going. Don't sweat it guys....its a Toyota!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RAV4HER said:
Well, I went 5K with Mobil 1 and had a valve tick ever after on a motor with just 50K on it. I know 5K-7.5k oil changes work for some people but for me...never again.
yet in europe, same engines get at least 10k oil changes with syntetic, and yet to see an problem.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Propak said:
I have a 2002 Tundra with 330,000 miles on it. I have followed all the service recommendations but I do stretch my oil change intervals to 7500-10000 miles. Never have problems and doesn't leak a drop of oil. I have a courier business and drive my vehicles 10000+ miles per month. If I followed the 3000 mile rule I would be changing my oil weekly. I try to go a month before changing.

I have a RAV4 now and already have 15000 miles on it (bought May 2006). I intend to keep the same routine going. Don't sweat it guys....its a Toyota!
wow :shock: that's alot of driving!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
thecat said:
That is why flushing away good oil before its time is foolish or thinking that some special additive will help the oil in your engine do its job better.
Are you saying STP isn't the racers edge? Ah, you probably have to be old to understand the reference.

Ah, I can see Mario now....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts