Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Newbie here and just wanted to say what a great forum and lots of great info and insights!

Anyway, I just bought a 2001 RAV4 L a month ago & love it!

I bought this from a good friend and just noticed a high pitch sound coming from the engine compartment only during idling but disappears as soon as the RAV gets moving. My friend told me that he brought it to the local Toyota Dealership but they couldn't find anything...

Wondering if any of you have come accross a similar situation and what was the remedy.

Thanks in advance!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does the high pitch sounds like metal high pitch or sound frequency high pitch?

If it's a sound frequency high pitch, it's the RAV4's dash stereo having an interference with some equipment your friend might have installed previously. Takes eons to find what the noise is. I still couldn't figure out mine yet.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kidong said:
Does the high pitch sounds like metal high pitch or sound frequency high pitch?

If it's a sound frequency high pitch, it's the RAV4's dash stereo having an interference with some equipment your friend might have installed previously. Takes eons to find what the noise is. I still couldn't figure out mine yet.
Thanks for the reply kidong!

It's more of a frequency sound and coming from the engine bay. My friend kept the RAV all stock and did not add any aftermarket upgrades at all. I can barely hear it from the inside when all the windows are rolled up but very noticable when I was waiting at the car wash a few days ago. My first impression was a vacum leak but it doesn't show any sluggishness or misfires when driving.

Odd.....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A minor airleak wouldn't affect your performance at all. But there are a few air hoses to check. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mohit said:
could be a drive belt/pulley issue
Ditto, the elusive high pitched sound maybe the idler pulley, water pump, or belt tensioner swan song of impending death. I have heard that song many times. :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the support!

I guess I'll have to check the tension of all the belts first and the vacum hoses will need a good looking over as well. I'll give an update in a day or two.

But just in case...

All the best & Happy Holidays! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
43 Posts
RAV44me, we have the same problem!

Did you figure it out yet? I have an 01 Rav4 and the dealership tried to replace the serpentine belt but it's still there. I've had it now for about 6 months. Hopefully, its nothing too serious.

Keep me posted on any progress you made.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Re: Cellphone and noise

Zorin said:
On a different note, my Motorola phone interfers with the stereo and everytime 2-3 seconds before my phone rings, there is loud klick-klick noise in all the speakers. My other Sanyo phone, doesn't create this problem.
Do you happen to have Nextel?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:wink: Could also be the power steering pump, probably be ok to leave it as it is

·
Registered
771 Posts
There is a high pitched "whistle" type of sound that comes from the exhaust components. In "Drive" at full stop makes one sound and "Neutral" at full stop makes another. I've noticed this on every car that I've owned.

I have sensitive ears like a dog. :lol:

Later. M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts