Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i didn't think it would actually do anything but i thought i might as well give it a go. Bought a TRD radiator cap (non genuine) off ebay for AU$ 30 (US$ 22) and just took my RAV out for a drive with the cap installed.

I could actually see it working in front of my eyes. The harder i drove the more the engine temperature gauge needle fell. Usually the needle sits just below the halfway mark but with the high pressure cap in place and a bit of spirited driving the needle was moving south towards the cold section. It finally sat at about 4 or 5 needle widths below the normal position. After driving normally for a few seconds the needle went back up to its normal position. I'm sure it'll help with my daily commute to and from work in stop-start traffic as well as when the AC is on or going up steep inclines.

The high pressure cap is rated at 1.3 bar (OEM cap is rated at 0.9 bar). The way it works is that the radiator cap reduces the operating temperatures of the cooling system by raising the boiling point of the coolant. I think thats the theory behind it!

K

·
0 Posts
Yeah Mohit, you pretty much explained the whole thing right. Higher the pressure, the higher the coiling point. Good stuff. I wanted to buy the 1.5bar one fromt TRD, but no time yet. Currently, I nick the ones from Honda Type-R 1.1Bar radiator cap.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do you have to upgrade other parts (radiator, hoses, etc ) to safely use a high pressure cap long term?

·
Registered
875 Posts
So that's the final deal eh? We've all been wondering about that infamous radiator cap. I wonder if the generic ones work just by chance. I doubt they put a bunch of research into developing that ebay 22 thing. But i guess if it works, it works! Congrats. I may take a stab at using one myself before the autocross season begins.

·
Registered
542 Posts
the red color toyota coolant does not need to be diluted. just pour it in until it's full! would this water wetter stuff still work with that? i've noticed though that the cooling fans only come on if i'm not using the aircon, and then only for about 10 seconds every 2 mins or so.. the busted thermostat that i took out still looks like new, even after 8 years service in the car!

standard thermostat is 82 deg C.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts