Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2010 Rav4 V6 4WD. It's a decent SUV but I've had one issue that's been bugging me since purchasing.

There's a vibration that seems to be somewhat consistent (i.e. sometimes it's worse than other times but always there and even on the same roads) that I can primarily feel through the steering. Best way to describe it is that it feels like the steering wheel is a vibrating phone so not the shimmy that usually is a balance issue. I start feeling it at about 80-90km/h but it's most pronounced from 100kmh upwards.

Since owning I've put new tires on the car and kept them balanced (issue occurs with both winter/summer wheels/rims) the new tires have helped but not eliminate the issue. I've also put in a new front passenger side wheel bearing/shock, rear shocks, done the suspension recall from 2014, during the shock/suspension work the car has been also re-aligned. So I don't think the issue is with tires/alignment. Car is only on 85000km/54000miles. I did buy it used at 40000km so am wondering if the previous owner did something to cause this that was missed by the Toyota certified inspection process.

Any ideas on what to try next? Or is that normal behavior for this vehicle?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your vehicle has Electronic Power Steering assist instead of Hydraulic Power Steering which means very small things can be felt easier.

I would personally go to a Tire Shop (not a dealership or department store like Canadian Tire) and mention the issue you are having. Then ask for a High Speed Balancing and to also check for run out of the wheels (checking to see if you have a slightly bent or warped rim).

If this does not solve the issue, you may have a slightly warped front brake disc. These need to be changed in pairs.

Personally I would go in this order.

·
Registered
38 Posts
^^Canon101 said perfectly. Check run out on the wheels, you might have one just warped a little.

Do you have the same problem while braking through those speeds? Or worse with a little brake press while maintaining those speeds?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delay in responding here: The issue was the parking brake. It was evidently starting to stick a little bit which caused the minor vibration, I figured it out when it started fully seizing and causing an enormous vibration and cooking the rear rotors.

I also discovered that the RAV needs softer riding tires (I used michelin defender non SUV tires) to make the ride and steering feel to be acceptable.

That's interesting about electric steering being more sensitive to picking up vibrations....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts