Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

High Voltage Cable Big Corrosion Problem

248065 1771
Hi

2019 rav4 hybrid with 80 000 miles on it! My car is 28 months old and Im leaving cold Canada. 2 weeks ago i got hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer! At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and toyota dont want put on my hybrid 100 000 miles warrenty!

Im the only one who that thing happen?
What you did to get paid the total bill?

Wire part number is 821h10r011 4800$ CAN + Job time $
Automotive tire Tire Tread Gas Saw
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Font Screenshot Technology Web page Software
Reactions: mililani
1 - 20 of 1772 Posts

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
... hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer! At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and toyota dont want put on my hybrid 100 000 miles warrenty!
+1 on post #5 @Maudie. Your "salty" winter roads caused the corrosion.

YES, wire is corroded. BUT, it is NOT a manufacturing defect. Sorry.
3-4years of salt and clearly NOTregularly rinsing the undercarriage during those 3-4 harsh salty winters took its tool on the wiring connector/harness.

1) IF you were in the USA, you would be able to call Toyota to complain, and/or ask for "Goodwill" service. This is 100% discretionary by Toyota. The determining factors seem to be how far out of warranty you are, and if you have been doing PAID service at a Toyota dealership. If you are NOT too far outside of warranty (time/mileage) and you have been doing a lot of paid service, your chances of getting "Goodwill" are good. Again, it is 100% at Toyota's discretion. You should call your dealership and Toyota CAN to beg/plead your case.
2) The part # you provide is about $1600-$1700 range, depending on which online Toyota dealership one buys it from. A used part from a RAV4 hybrid at a salvage yard would be your cheapest option. Online sites that sell used parts would be your second cheapest option.

It will be a pain to replace that harness, but it can be done DIY, if you have the inclination, skills, tools, and Techstream.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
622 Posts
IP ratings do not say anything about salt water.
IP 66 is protected against dust and water jets from all directions. The thing is, this isn't the result from direct water jets.
It is a direct result of salt laden water ingression causing corrosion and failure. Simple as that. Toyota should have done a better job of sealing it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I bet there is a section on maintaining care & appearance of vehicle by washing/rinsing underside of vehicle, esp when exposed to mud/snow/salt.

If OP did so w/ regularity, OP would have never posted this unfortunate experience.
Not an option for vehicles operated in sub zero conditions. Rinse off, park and vehicle brakes will be froze solid an hour later.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi

2019 rav4 hybrid with 80 000 miles on it! Im leaving cold Canada and 2 weeks ago i got hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer! At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and toyota dont want put on my hybrid 100 000 miles warrenty!

Im the only one who that thing happen?
What you did to get paid the total bill?

Wire part number is 821h10r011 4800$ CAN + Job time $
View attachment 176398 View attachment 176401
View attachment 176400
Friend of mine had his rear HV cable replaced last winter. Warranty!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I haven't been able to take a good look but it seems like the connection is different from the 4.4 Hybrid where the connections seem to be higher up on the case of the rear drive unit.
I will take a better look and possibly take a picture when I can.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is the best I could do for now.
The connections on the 4.4 seem to be at a better location.
They are at the left side (drivers side) of the unit, all the way at the top.
It seems that there is hardly any spray getting up there.

So the change that Toyota made for the new rear drive unit hasn't turned out that well in this regard.

1 - 20 of 1772 Posts