Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

High Voltage Cable Big Corrosion Problem

560K views 3K replies 229 participants last post by  Ters 
I am a sceptic that this is covered under powertrain warranty. This issue looks like 'electrical' part of the car . Powertrain I find to be mechanical, possibly including rear electric motor but excluding electrical harness.
From Kia: “A powertrain is an assembly of every component that thrusts your car into motion. It includes engine, transmission, driveshaft, axles, and differential.”

On an ICE only car, the powertrain is anything that takes power from the power source to the wheels.

Why is this not the same?

Read the op’s 1st paragraph

2019 rav4 hybrid with 80 000 miles on it! My car is 28 months old and Im leaving cold Canada. 2 weeks ago i got hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer! At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and toyota dont want put on my hybrid 100 000 miles warrenty!

Better to investigate this more closely cause the devil is in the details

Toyota Certified Used Vehicle Warranty

Every Toyota certified used vehicle comes with a 12-month/12,000 mile limited comprehensive warranty starting at the date of purchase. Toyota certified used hybrid vehicles also still receive the 8-year/100,000 mile Factory Hybrid Vehicle Battery Warranty. Toyota certified used vehicles also receive a 7-year/100,000 limited powertrain warranty. Components covered by this warranty include engine components, manual transmission, automatic transmission, axle assembly components and hybrid components.

What in the OP's postings tells you it is a used vehicle?

Why is it not being covered under the 96 months 160km hybrid components warranty? New Vehicle Warranty and Coverage - Toyota Canada

Toyota sells the vehicles for service/use in this climate.

1) Different companies: Hyundai/Kia vs Toyota.
2) Each company can choose what to and what NOT to cover.
3) Hyundai/Kia have the longest powertrain warranty of any auto manufacture. They chose to do this to entice people to take a chance on them instead of the Japanese brands which have a much shorter powertrain warranty. The Japanese manufactures (Honda/Toyota/Subaru/Mitsubishi) don't have to, don't need to, and choose NOT to do so.

I know, Just happened to be the first definition that came up when I googled the term "power train".

I think it's fair to say all the hybrid components (with the exception of the serviceable fan filter) are covered with the 3/36 but there are exclusions with the top of the line platinum so the coverage is not equal. It's a question of whether this cable is considered part of the excluded items. All the info we have from the thread so far is for one owner it was covered for the other it wasn't.

In the US the Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly is excluded from the Platinum Warranty. See here under additional exclusions. But reading the note those are components covered under the Toyota Hybrid System Warranty. May want to check if there is similar language in the Canada documents.

Exactly.
The explanation is that it’s not a covered part “in their (bible) book).
I want to see in writing that an extended warranty will cover it if it’s corroded and the panics lights go on again.
The "extended warranty" is not a bumper to bumper warranty. It is a VSA (Vehicle Service Agreement) and covers specific parts mentioned in the contract and nothing more. I couldn't find any wiring covered under Hybrid or Electrical in those lists of covered items.

I don’t think a hybrid is worth the extra money and grief just to save a few bucks on gas/year. Plus when that hybrid battery needs to be replaced you may as well junk it. 💩💵💵💵💵
My family has or had 6 Toyota hybrids which tells you how we fell about their reliability and economics.

With 6 hybrids under your belt have you had any of the aforementioned issues with the battery wiring harness, battery, rear tire premature uneven wear?
No issues at all other than the gas tank sensor issue that was resolved about a year ago with a free replacement and re-calibration. Prius, Prius v, Prius v, Rav 4 hybrid, Prius Prime, Avalon hybrid.

I will have mine at the end of the month. Now after reading this thread I'm wondering if I should even pick it up because I'm in CT and they pour salt and the pretreatment liquid on the roads like it's going outta style.
If you can, buy it. You can probably sell it for more than you paid for it. I can and mine is 2.8 years old and 21k miles used.

Because it takes time to develop the issue and it’s only likely to occur where there’s snow and salt.

There is a tech tip that is at least 6 months old. I think they have had enough time to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution. Now it is entirely different if they can get the parts produced and delivered to address the issue given the current manufacturing challenges.

I commented bea

I commented because the orange plastic housing is unsealed without any provision for protection from water ingress and the wire screen and main connector have no obvious corrosion protection enhancements so yes it "looks" the same. While a picture is just a picture than "obviously" it can't be verified.

Why not go to the parts department and see if there is a replacement part number. Wouldn't that give you an idea if later models had any improvements?

The Venza is the same basic design, but the first model year in North America is 2021.

There is a service bulletin for this dated October 2020.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was fixed for the Venza. Or it’s not old enough.
Tech Tip T-TT-0630-20 which gives no instructions on how to repair and does not specify who should pay. All it really says is inspect and if corroded fix it.

Thanks, and step by step to get to #295:

1) Park the car
2) Let it sit 10+ mins
3) Disconnect the 12V battery in the trunk
4) Let it sit 10+ mins
5) Unplug the service orange plug by battery filter in rear seat
6) Remove the plate
7) Using screw driver to ply over the connector cover
8) Hope everything is clean and dry 🙏

IMPORTANT NOTE: Wear insulated gloves...which I'm not sure if I have any....:unsure:

Question:
For those who have disconnected the 12V battery for more than 10 mins, did the car throw any code or warning upon start up after reconnecting the power source?

See section 9 in the owners manual. Customization and initialization.

stumbled on this, good visuals, don't know how to translate. I didn't realize that the side of the connector is wide open, no wonder why sediment is in there but other than I guess that's shielding, the wires are protected. So I don't know if the problem is with the sealing at the top of the connector, or rust starting on the bottom where it's open and migrating up. Can't be good with a rotating half shaft right there to churn things up. Hope Toyota fixes this. I can't believe that they can stand behind a corrosion exclusion when that connector is wide open.

I do note that the part number in the video is different from others that have been previously posted about the part indicating there may be a change in current production.

I have a conspiracy theory that this thread is not displayed up high on the main board with thread feeds in order to sweep this topic under the carpet.
despite many posts a day it is not as visible as other threads that are 'recommended for me'
in order to see this thread I have to go to history of my activity
Must be an option you have set as when I connect I see the posts that have had activity since I last connected. This is recently amoung them.

Thanks for sharing.

I believe Toyota will eventually come out with a fix, BUT, I am more concerned with the issue would start developing on my car before the fix arrives - Then who would cover the $5K cost? If Toyota will admit the issue and will reimburse, then I can sleep better at nights now. 🤔
Typical warranty coverage decisions are retroactive as long as a dealer performed the service and documented the cause and the fix. I'll bet there will be a lawyer beginning a class action at some point.

I'll sleep well. And save to potentially cover the issue until those decisions comes down.

Anyone compared the orange connector/receptor to the ones used in Prius? If they are the same, meaning Prius's ones r not water tight as these, then how come they didnt seem to have the same problem in 10+ yrs. I remember reading that the difference was the location they picked for Rav4, lower body and being exposed to the road debris and snow - and following the logic, if we can block off the debris and snow, they ahould perform as same the ones in Prius, shouldn't they?
How is that motor going to be cooled if you block off any air flow from below?

If/when Toyota has a service campaign to address this issue, they could deny coverage if the component was tampered with.

I get it, people are anxious and want to take care of their cars that cost a lot of money.

If you believe Toyota will never address this, then I guess go ahead and try the experimental fixes.

If you think Toyota is working on a fix or already fixed it, I’d leave it alone.

T-TT-0630-20 is over 14 months ago. They have had all that time to come up with a corporate response. They changed the part on new builds. What do you think the chances are they will offer a warranty extension both redefining the failure as covered and extend the coverage?.

14 months ago, and up until recently, we were in the middle of a 100 year global pandemic. Give them a minute, would ya?

Car care nut says they’re cooking something up.

The attitude and helpfulness could have been immediate. The paperwork to extend the warranty takes maybe a month in a bureaucracy. The hardware longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.