Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

High Voltage Cable Big Corrosion Problem

363259 Views 2364 Replies 208 Participants Last post by  Illinibird
Hi, I have a 2019 RAV4 hybrid with 80,000 miles on it! My car is 28 months old and I'm leaving cold Canada. 2 weeks ago I got a hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer.

At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and Toyota don't want honor my hybrid 100,000 miles warranty.

Am I the only one who's had this thing happen?

What was the total bill?

Wire part number is 821h10r011 4800$ CAN + Job time $
Automotive tire Tire Tread Gas Saw
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Font Screenshot Technology Web page Software
Reactions: mililani
2041 - 2060 of 2365 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
I live in Ontario, 100 miles north of Toronto. My cars spend all their days outdoors (a result of growing up in Montreal, Quebec where garaged cars rotted). This vehicle had limited miles on salted northern roads in its 1st year then went south (Florida) there after. The vehicle was thoroughly washed underneath after its 1st year in Canada and then last year when arriving in Florida.The car was thoroughly washed underneath when arriving in Florida. I have a 2015 4runner LTd (100,000kms/60,000 miles ) and its is in mint condition. Very little sign of rust underneath as I thoroughly wash it underneath when possible. There is absolutely no signs of rust or corrosion under the Rav. I flip the tires myself just so i can have a good look underneath. After watching the you-tubes from Quebec, Canada , I can see why there is a problem with the design and build. When subjected to salt (Calcium/magnesium based products on the road) these cars will have a problem and will require repair on an ongoing basis. This is an issue that Toyota will have to address for vehicles in this environment , In the interim, thankfully they are covering it. Now if they can just get the parts in a timely manner. 6-12mos is not going to cut it..
I will be reviewing the 2023 Highlander hybrid LTD rear design that I have on order, the 4runner will remain for the time being.

· Registered
24 Posts
It appears that the Highlander has the same parts and rear end configuration as the Rav. That means if the vehicle is ever subjected to road salt, the same problem will develop. Our Rav only had 1 low mileage winter on salted roads. The entire underside is void of rust and corrosion. The car is like new. In our case Toyota has stepped and and is covering the repair. However, the vehicle is now in the unreliable mode and the parts are not forthcoming (6-12 months delay). Am I willing to put down $70,000 when the vehicle can't be repaired for 6-12 months??? I think Toyota makes one of the best vehicles and they have the best dealer network (Canada-US). I am now leaving the order in place for now but looking at the other Toyota vehicles to see what vehicles have a better implementation of rear power train. Also , whether to continue to follow a 6 -10 program for vehicle purchase and replacement. Maybe time to consider a 3-4 yr lease and run and forget the 7 yr ECP. There is $3000-$3500 right there.

· Registered
171 Posts
Has anyone had the cable replacement covered under the Toyota Platinum Warranty in the US?
I'd like to know as well. I'm at $30,263 miles and have to make a decision. However, I have read it is NOT covered under any extended warranty. Then the other problem is waiting 6 months to a year. That's even worse---I can't believe someone hasn't come up with a temporary fix or splicing into the cable.

· Registered
424 Posts
Picture on top is from may
Picture on the bottom is from today.
You can see a slow progression of rusting of the connector even after applying crc and no salt on the road.
crc got washed out mostly over 7 months . I am applying 3 coats this time
Pictures are after a wash and rinse

it’s a matter of time when most connectors will fail.

· Registered
424 Posts
The imperfections from casting the part look like it’s cracked. It’s fine though.

if the rust progresses in the summer after the connector is cleaned and sprayed than it’s a matter of time when it breaks in half.
I am prolonging the time needed for replacement.

it’s like waiting for covid 19 vaccine to roll out.

I forgot to reinstall the plug for hv battery and I got ‘visit dealer info’.
I had to erase the code after reinstalling

· Registered
19 Posts
My 19 had the clamp so rusted it split. I removed the clamp in April and car has been fine since as far as codes. However the am radio is all static. In April, I just cleaned the sand and mud out of the braiding that accumulated over two years and removed the rusted clamp that just seem to be causing more corrosion. I looked at again a few weeks ago and nothing has changed since April. I cleaned what little sand had accumulated since April and put the full orange plastic cover back in place. Will check again next summer.

· Registered
844 Posts
Check out the new Corolla Cross Hybrid. The cable connector is inside the spare tire wheel well. What does that say?
. . . that someone in the design studio at Toyota screwed up and removed a significant item from the Corporate, Parts & Service Departments revenue streams?

· Premium Member
532 Posts
Check out the new Corolla Cross Hybrid. The cable connector is inside the spare tire wheel well. What does that say?
My opinion this will be the 4.6 design. With room for a baby spare. The Tundra HV system is unlikely in a non longitudinal ICE. Although it does have the connection on the inside of the floor near the center console.

We will no more on the 5th Gen Synergy Drive when the new Prius is dissected.

· Registered
171 Posts
So what's the verdict? Is it advised to follow directions, unhook the connector, cut out one side if it's enclosed, clean then apply CRC? Or is Toyota making good and to just wait?

· Registered
423 Posts
My mechanic (not Toyota) felt that if I start to say; spray CRC on the connector, or apply dielectric grease to the black seal around the connector, Toyota could argue I modified their cable, and wouldn't allow a warranty claim. My connector has the open side.
They removed the plastic skid pad panel, examined my connector when it was up on a hoist, to install snow tires, and they said it "looked ok".

2041 - 2060 of 2365 Posts