Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

High Voltage Cable Big Corrosion Problem

366985 Views 2380 Replies 209 Participants Last post by  14v6
Hi, I have a 2019 RAV4 hybrid with 80,000 miles on it! My car is 28 months old and I'm leaving cold Canada. 2 weeks ago I got a hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer.

At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and Toyota don't want honor my hybrid 100,000 miles warranty.

Am I the only one who's had this thing happen?

What was the total bill?

Wire part number is 821h10r011 4800$ CAN + Job time $
Automotive tire Tire Tread Gas Saw
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Font Screenshot Technology Web page Software
Reactions: mililani
2061 - 2080 of 2381 Posts

· Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
234 Posts
My mechanic (not Toyota) felt that if I start to say; spray CRC on the connector, or apply dielectric grease to the black seal around the connector, Toyota could argue I modified their cable, and wouldn't allow a warranty claim. My connector has the open side.
Same here. Ahmed at TCCN Automotive told me the exact same thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: windwalker099

· Registered
257 Posts
Same here. Ahmed at TCCN Automotive told me the exact same thing.

The real question is why would Toyota not do this as part of their own corrective measures. 🤔

One would have to assume it was something they looked at, much cheaper then redesigning the connector shell, and installing a tray underneath the MGR.

Cheaper, easier to apply, something that any shops could do without much instruction
with known substances used in like applications.

· Registered
2022 Lunar Rock XLE Premium J-VIN
286 Posts
This was posted by RAV1055 in the Highlander thread:

"The corrosion is more than the shielding. That just affects the AM band on the radio. Its the actual connection of which there is an o-ring between the cable and the port into the rear motor. The 2 surfaces of the connection (aluminum) is subject to corrosion which allows water to enter the connection and compromise the electrical circuit. Then the Hybrid detects the "short": and shuts down. According to my service department its the connection of the cable to the motor which has a new "cap" to prevent this. The orange plastic cover is also modified to facilitate the drainage dirt/salt water.”

Apparently the new half shell orange cover is only part of the solution.

The other part, which I haven’t seen anywhere else besides the post from RAV1055 is a new “cap” for the connection of the cable to the motor (not the shielding).

Interesting.

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,447 Posts
My mechanic (not Toyota) felt that if I start to say; spray CRC on the connector, or apply dielectric grease to the black seal around the connector, Toyota could argue I modified their cable, and wouldn't allow a warranty claim. My connector has the open side.
They removed the plastic skid pad panel, examined my connector when it was up on a hoist, to install snow tires, and they said it "looked ok".
What warranty? In the US beyond 36k miles or 36 months you are on your own. Before that they are citing language disclaiming cable/wiring.

· Registered
234 Posts
The real question is why would Toyota not do this as part of their own corrective measures. 🤔

One would have to assume it was something they looked at, much cheaper then redesigning the connector shell, and installing a tray underneath the MGR.

Cheaper, easier to apply, something that any shops could do without much instruction
with known substances used in like applications.
I tend to agree with you but they didn't. I still don't understand why the braiding is exposed at the end and the metal collar around the plug isn't encased in a protective plastic sleeve like the rest of the orange cable. I have to think the engineers have thought about this and there is probably a good reason (hopefully not a cost reason).

· Registered
234 Posts
Its the actual connection of which there is an o-ring between the cable and the port into the rear motor. The 2 surfaces of the connection (aluminum) is subject to corrosion which allows water to enter the connection and compromise the electrical circuit. Then the Hybrid detects the "short": and shuts down. According to my service department its the connection of the cable to the motor which has a new "cap" to prevent this. The orange plastic cover is also modified to facilitate the drainage dirt/salt water.”

The other part, which I haven’t seen anywhere else besides the post from RAV1055 is a new “cap” for the connection of the cable to the motor (not the shielding).

Interesting.
When I asked Ahmed about this problem when we were under the car he said the same thing as you are talking about. It's that water gets into the plug thereby causing a short and the system detects this and shuts down. The metal braiding helps prevent interference with the AM radio and corrosion of it shouldn't affect the hybrid system.

When did Toyota start installing this "new" cap for the connection of the cable to the motor?

· Registered
234 Posts
What warranty? In the US beyond 36k miles or 36 months you are on your own. Before that they are citing language disclaiming cable/wiring.
Would it be covered under the Vehicle Service Agreement (extended warranty)?

· Registered
19 Posts
I have been following this Cablegate forum for over 6 months and to me there is some new revelations about what causes the short and for the hybrid system to fail and shut down the whole vehicle.
Pleas correct me if I am wrong.
1. the coroded braided wire and the rusting clamp only effect the AM radio (which i dont care about) and if you did cut the braided wire right off and took the clamp off the car would not be shut down by a short and fault detection.
2. The issue is that the corrosion of metal goes up from the clamp area and past the rubber gasket and allows water and salt to get into the 3 phase motor conncetion and cause a short and shut the vehicle down. At this point the car will not run on the gas engine and you are standed.
3. If the connection to the electric motor was corrosion free and dry, the vehicle would function properly and maybe you would just lose the AM radio.due to corrosion at the clamp
4. There is a New cap for the 3 pahse motor conncetor. What does this look like compared to the faulty one and does it have a better gasket or some other type of protection.
5, Can you buy this NEW CAP.
Thanks

· Registered
423 Posts
I was thinking of buying a spare HV cable and just putting it aside, for when my cable goes bad. Then I just hand it over to my mechanic (not Toyota dealership) to install,
But if there is a new improved seal for the connector may wait.
I live in a heavy snow , salt region, Northern Vermont. Though every winter it seems we get less snow, more thaws through the ski season.

· Registered
234 Posts
4. There is a New cap for the 3 pahse motor conncetor. What does this look like compared to the faulty one and does it have a better gasket or some other type of protection.
When did they start putting the "new" cap on the HV cable that goes to the rear electric motor in the RAV4 Primes? In 2022? On the 2023's? Will there be a recall to replace the cap or would that require a total replacement of the HV cable? If it is only a question of having the proper gasket can existing cars be retrofitted with the new gasket on the connector?

Anybody heard any answers?

· Registered
257 Posts
When did they start putting the "new" cap on the HV cable that goes to the rear electric motor in the RAV4 Primes? In 2022? On the 2023's? Will there be a recall to replace the cap or would that require a total replacement of the HV cable? If it is only a question of having the proper gasket can existing cars be retrofitted with the new gasket on the connector?

Anybody heard any answers?
If this is the case,,,connector cap, and gasket....might be very easy to do with out disassembly of the cable itself..

One thing to consider,,,if there is a seal on the gasket that could be considered to be broken should ,
as some have done. removed the connector to apply some type of "preventative measure" 🤔
toyota, might as has been mentioned, consider this to be the root cause...

The new connector gasket along with the connector backing if true regarding the "gasket" quite interesting
addressing the root causes....

note: it's not a direct short as some have mentioned. It's a loss of resistance, meeting certain threshold, that shuts the system down preventively to avoid driver injury or system damage...

· Registered
234 Posts
If this is the case,,,connector cap, and gasket....might be very easy to do with out disassembly of the cable itself..

One thing to consider,,,if there is a seal on the gasket that could be considered to be broken should ,
as some have done. removed the connector to apply some type of "preventative measure" 🤔
toyota, might as has been mentioned, consider this to be the root cause...

The new connector gasket along with the connector backing if true regarding the "gasket" quite interesting
addressing the root causes....

note: it's not a direct short as some have mentioned. It's a loss of resistance, meeting certain threshold, that shuts the system down preventively to avoid driver injury or system damage...
Good points. You haven't heard anything official though, right?

· Registered
257 Posts
Good points. You haven't heard anything official though, right?
no, 🤔

why the post that mentioned it caught my eye...👀

Makes sense, if one considers root causes...ie moisture intrusion, compromising what they call

"• P0AA649 (Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Internal Electronic Failure).
• P1C8049 (Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation (Rear Motor Area) Internal Electronic Failure)."

The failure point addressed directly "better seal/gasket"

· Registered
166 Posts
Now we wait for pictures of the new cable to see if the 3 phase connection is different, and evaluate again if the dielectric grease and CRC are a good home garage solution assuming this doesn't get a recall or lifetime warranty extension.

EDIT - is there room to wrap this 360 degrees around the assembled connection and cover the joint:
Compression Seal Tape

I used this sucessfully to seal a copper pipe leak in my home radiator heating system, rather than drain all the water out and sweat pipes. It could be removed for any Toyota warranty entanglements!

· Registered
428 Posts
So we have version
A stamped metal clamp that holds shield wires rusts, breakers, trips codes and immobilizes the car

B power connections are rusted and prohibit delivery of 3 phase power to the motor

which version do You support?
Happy thanksgiving weekend

I vote for B
Version A was blamed for during last year development of cable gate. After new evidence emerged I lean towards B
There is a guy here who has the braid detached and still driving so it’s the actual power connection that gives up

· Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
197 Posts
I guess I was lucky as I only waited 2 months for cable replacement. I had the cable inspected 2 weeks prior to my 3/60 warranty running out and photos taken at the dealership. 5 days after the warranty ran out I got the "Hybrid System Malfunction" message but I was still able to drive the vehicle to the dealer. They agreed to replace the cable under warranty shortly after this. Replacement was done in August.
2019 R4H Limited

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2061 - 2080 of 2381 Posts