Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

High Voltage Cable Big Corrosion Problem

248145 1771
Hi

2019 rav4 hybrid with 80 000 miles on it! My car is 28 months old and Im leaving cold Canada. 2 weeks ago i got hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer! At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and toyota dont want put on my hybrid 100 000 miles warrenty!

Im the only one who that thing happen?
What you did to get paid the total bill?

Wire part number is 821h10r011 4800$ CAN + Job time $
Automotive tire Tire Tread Gas Saw
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Font Screenshot Technology Web page Software
Reactions: mililani
1701 - 1720 of 1772 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
My choice was in buying the rav4 hybrid over the subaru forester.

As some may know subaru went to direct injection engines which will have carbon problems,
so far no hybrid to comparable the Rav4

After buying a 2022 LE reading about the cable. Find the issue interesting as well as in helping to understand possible problems for my own vehicle

My background was in semiconductor, and solar industries as an equipment tech...

The cable issue can be addressed, direct injection engines can not be...

You've missed it. Keep in mind this has been translated from French.

🤔 Actually have that one along with others

In all they show the lower cable connection,,,showing pictures of corrosion which to me is not really the main point...

The main point seems to be moisture overcoming the isolation of the cables.

27:35 MUST-SEE: See the results of a conductive liquid connection to vehicle chassis

Triggering the faults

"P0AA649 (Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Internal Electronic Failure)."
"P1C8049 (Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation (Rear Motor Area) Internal Electronic Failure)"

some thoughts...

The connector corrosion issue has been around for awhile to varying degrees among different hybrid models.
The numbers of those affected relatively small, some Lexus owners seeing this while "not" affecting their vehicles

The Rav4 hybrid had a design change to the MGR, cable location , connector

The design, shared among different models....so far not much data as to whether those models are affected in the same way or will be

The connection point itself was addressed as Toyota as done so already....
The cable appears to go through a pass though from bottom to top connecting the same cable.

Not clear on why it has to do this...instead of directly using the top connection point...

The issue with the lower connection point connector "closed design", collecting road dirt, salt ect not allowing moister to drain along with the material that might contain the moisture over a long period of time.

Addressed, by the bottom splash cover, and cut away in the connector "open design" attempting to prevent splash and allowing draining of any moister collecting material, to be able to escape

Remains to be seen if this is the final solution or not...

the 2023 models should be interesting to see the changes if any.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As far as I’m aware, there are no failures with the updated connector.

If they are going to fail, we’ll see them soon because the old connectors failed in as little as 2 years.

Go back to the first page in this thread and look at the picture of the failed connector.
That looks like it was submerged at the bottom of the ocean. I can’t see the new design deteriorating like that in 2 years. There are other metallic parts underneath the car exposed to the same elements that don’t rot out in 2 years. It failed because it was in a constant moisture bath.

·
Registered
382 Posts

If they are going to fail, we’ll see them soon because the old connectors failed in as little as 2 years.

Go back to the first page in this thread and look at the picture of the failed connector.
That looks like it was submerged at the bottom of the ocean. I can’t see the new design deteriorating like that in 2 years. There are other metallic parts underneath the car exposed to the same elements that don’t rot out in 2 years. It failed because it was in a constant moisture bath.
I'm not too sure about that. Someone posted a picture of the collar with the new open design and IMO it should have looked better than that. This could all be to get past the 3/36. Let's say in the extremes it takes 2 years to fail and with the open design it takes 4 years, still a fail in my book but the reports keep on coming in and overall there haven't been many outright failures posted on the forum. That's what 3 winters with the closed design for a 2019. I did look at my 21 LE a few weeks back and I didn't peel off the connector to see the collar but after 1 winter of mild use, the braiding looked kind of pristine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not too sure about that. Someone posted a picture of the collar with the new open design and IMO it should have looked better than that. This could all be to get past the 3/36. Let's say in the extremes it takes 2 years to fail and with the open design it takes 4 years, still a fail in my book but the reports keep on coming in and overall there haven't been many outright failures posted on the forum. That's what 3 winters with the closed design for a 2019. I did look at my 21 LE a few weeks back and I didn't peel off the connector to see the collar but after 1 winter of mild use, the braiding looked kind of pristine.
Lots of things don’t look good underneath a car that is driven in salted areas.

I worked at Jiffy Lube in high school here in the Twin Cities and have seen underneath thousands of cars. Brand new cars will have surface rust on the underside on various parts, that’s just the way it is. Some people see rust on their brake rotors and freak out and think something is wrong but it’s normal.

We’ll see.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I worked at Jiffy Lube in high school here in the Twin Cities and have seen underneath thousands of cars. Brand new cars will have surface rust on the underside on various parts, that’s just the way it is. Some people see rust on their brake rotors and freak out and think something is wrong but it’s normal.

We’ll see.
Agreed but the normal underside rusty spots don't fail, the collar/clamp does.

·
Registered
37 Posts

We’ll see.
Wood Red Font Wrist Human leg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Has anyone done the CRC application on a Prime yet? I was planning to remove the connector this afternoon, but then i realized that the Service Plug is actually hidden away, unlike Rav4. So i am wondering if i should proceed without unplugging the Service Plug.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
209 Posts
It's way too soon. The updated/opened connector is better, but that won't fix this issue at all. As long as it's exposed and able to be splashed with water that has salt/brine/mag chloride, it'll corrode. Best thing to do is hit it with a corrosion inhibitor

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
32 Posts
If the "new" (i.e. cut-away shroud) connector is the answer (and that's not definitively been resolved yet IMO), why hasn't/isn't Toyota getting their dealers to cut away the shrouds on the 2019, 2020 and early 2021s (i.e. an easy and simple fix) to help mitigate the failures and issues that are sure to be coming in over the foreseeable future?

That they haven't yet can mean 2 things IMO; first the cut-away shroud is not an effective long term solution, so no benefit will come of it, or they are waiting for the solid connectors to get well out of warranty and firmly into owner-responsibility territory. To me the former is the more likely motivation, while the latter is still unresolved and they are hoping it at least gets the late 2021, 2022, (and 2023?) into the same owner-responsibility situation.

Neither sounds like Toyoya is seriously looking at or tackling this as an issue, nor do they seem to care about the owner experiences as we all go through this potential liability. Furthermore, if they ever had any intention of eventually making this "right", you'd think they'd be looking at loss minimization, and working to keep THEIR eventual costs down by helping owners avoid the failures in the first place by cutting away shrouds, applying anti-corrosive coatings, etc Yes, they have to do a cost/benefit analysis to what ever they do, but I can't see how letting this drag on unresolved or at least treated, is going to cost them less in the long run.

I can't say I have much confidence that Toyota is going to be much help going forward, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

JP

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's way too soon. The updated/opened connector is better, but that won't fix this issue at all. As long as it's exposed and able to be splashed with water that has salt/brine/mag chloride, it'll corrode. Best thing to do is hit it with a corrosion inhibitor
I know it will corrode, but will it disintegrate and fail or will the corrosion be cosmetic and not affect performance like all of the other corrosion underneath a vehicle?

There is a difference between being splashed and being submerged or always wet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know it will corrode, but will it disintegrate and fail or will the corrosion be cosmetic and not affect performance like all of the other corrosion underneath a vehicle?

from Lexus

some of the post

Have you seen this before on your vehicle? Do you think his answer makes sense, or should I push to have it fixed? I'm afraid that the wires will wear prematurely, and water may get into the motor. I can't begin to imagine how much it would cost to replace the hybrid system when the warranty runs out.

Thanks!
I just checked my 2007, and it looks like the photo above. Never had a problem, so it appears to be normal.
Know this is an old thread but just wondered if there is a definative answer to this.

Have the same corrosion issue on mine as pictured and the metal web has totally disintegrated.

Understand replacement cale, and labour is megabucks.

Do I just leave it or anything else that can be done.

Thanks
chris
Just leave it, the braided wire you see is just the outer ground/noise shield that does not carry the power.

No need to worry unless your hybrid system stops working. Haven't heard of this happening yet.

Same problem, same suggestions, same understanding

·
Registered
37 Posts

I posted this earlier, this one has the new upgraded harness with the cutout. 2021.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
209 Posts

31:20 www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFZcO4NDhI That ground cable doesn't have a cup around it that holds water, it just gets splashed, and it still totally disintegrates with a light tug. 2019 chevy 1500 with 47k

1701 - 1720 of 1772 Posts