Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

High Voltage Cable Big Corrosion Problem

248145 1771
Hi

2019 rav4 hybrid with 80 000 miles on it! My car is 28 months old and Im leaving cold Canada. 2 weeks ago i got hybrid malfunction message. I did a inspection at the dealer! At the rear drive unit the wire is in really bad shape and toyota dont want put on my hybrid 100 000 miles warrenty!

Im the only one who that thing happen?
What you did to get paid the total bill?

Wire part number is 821h10r011 4800$ CAN + Job time $
Automotive tire Tire Tread Gas Saw
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Font Screenshot Technology Web page Software
Reactions: mililani
1721 - 1740 of 1772 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just tried my 3rd attempt, and i even got the connector unplugged from the motor, but i still couldn't open up the orange cover to get to the clamp. I was able to unclip one tab to get it opened up quite a bit but not enough to work with though. If anyone who has done it successfully or planning to do it, good luck with that bulky cover and post up a video on how to get it opened 🙏🙏

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've had both halves of the clamshell separated . . . . it did require patience, tenacity, and persistence, but those were ultimately rewarded. That was a scouting surveillance run. The next time I will have the CRC, painters tape, and masking paper at the ready.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I suppose that it couldn't hurt. Blow it clean with compressed air, brush if off with mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol, then hit it with the cosmoline or whatever anti-corrosive spray of your choice . . . . .

Reactions: Chazz8

·
Registered
540 Posts
I suppose that it couldn't hurt. Blow it clean with compressed air, brush if off with mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol, then hit it with the cosmoline or whatever anti-corrosive spray of your choice . . . . .
Yeah, if i can figure out how to open the orange cover. What tools did you use? And which one did you open first and last? 🙏

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yeah, if i can figure out how to open the orange cover. What tools did you use? And which one did you open first and last? 🙏
Small flat blade screw drivers and phalanges. :D . . . . . fingers man, it''s all in the fingers. The flat bladed screw drivers assist in pushing the wedge tab back out through the slot (while you are using another blade to deform the receiving slot) to separate the two halves. The fingers assist in convincing the two halves that they really do want part company.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Small flat blade screw drivers and phalanges. :D . . . . . fingers man, it''s all in the fingers. The flat bladed screw drivers assist in pushing the wedge tab back out through the slot (while you are using another blade to deform the receiving slot) to separate the two halves. The fingers assist in convincing the two halves that they really do want part company.
Haha i tried 6 to 8 flat drivers, but the halves of mine were just too stubborn though 🤣
And there wasn't enough space and hard to slip my tools thru. I dropped the drivers couple times, almost landing right on my face.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i had trouble getting the orange clamp apart also. I unbolted the plug and carfully detached it from the motor. A lot easier to seperate the orange clam and clean by doing this extra step.
I did remove the connector, and it was dangling from top, still not too much of space to get to the inner tabs, plus since it's dangling it's harder to put pressure on it (I also wanted to avoid all the yanking too), so it was still difficult.

When I was about to fall asleep last night, I remembered of an "USB" trick that I have used to remove my old BMW maf sensor long time ago, and that trick might work on these tabs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If yours is a Hybrid, then it would be under the rear passenger seat, behind the battery filter vent. In manual, it advises to wear insulation glove to remove the plug. I didn't have any, so i just used a plastic pryer to unplug it - slide the handle down, and then flip it up to unplug. Hope this helps, plus simply google rav4 hybrid service plug, there are couple on youtube.

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
49 Posts
Those of you unbolting the connector--are you disconnecting from the hybrid battery first?
I did not. That cable provides the 3-phase AC drive current that connects directly to the motor winding. The only time there is a voltage and current in those wires is when the system is trying to spin the motor to move the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If yours is a Hybrid, then it would be under the rear passenger seat, behind the battery filter vent. In manual, it advises to wear insulation glove to remove the plug. I didn't have any, so i just used a plastic pryer to unplug it - slide the handle down, and then flip it up to unplug. Hope this helps, plus simply google rav4 hybrid service plug, there are couple on youtube.
Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I checked mine today just out of curiosity. Northern Alabama, 1 year old, 15k miles. No road salt. Connector is the half shell on my ‘21 Hybrid XSE (KY built). Looks brand new. Applied some CRC Marine Rust Inhibitor to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,287 Posts
I checked mine today just out of curiosity. Northern Alabama, 1 year old, 15k miles. No road salt. Connector is the half shell on my ‘21 Hybrid XSE (KY built). Looks brand new. Applied some CRC Marine Rust Inhibitor to be on the safe side.
Do they brine your bridges with salt water treatment in anticipation of snow or ice?

·
Registered
244 Posts
update on my maintenance plan with 50 inch straw nozzle tube,

I said I might permanently install a long straw nozzle for the acf-50 can.

well, cancel that. I came up with ideas but all seemed to be risky and possibly end up with clogged line

I found it is easy to reach in and just stick the end of the long straw into the connector by hand each time

so moving forward...to refresh acf-50... will climb under and place the long 50 inch nozzle end into the connector
by hand, then attach the can to the tail and let it rip. it's pretty easy and just need to lay on back to do it
and w/o removing the black cover I can reach in and put the end right up into the connector. blast, then pull
whole thing out and wrap up for next time.

1721 - 1740 of 1772 Posts