Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1741 - 1760 of 1772 Posts

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Hybrid AWD LE
128 Posts
update on my maintenance plan with 50 inch straw nozzle tube,

I said I might permanently install a long straw nozzle for the acf-50 can.

well, cancel that. I came up with ideas but all seemed to be risky and possibly end up with clogged line

I found it is easy to reach in and just stick the end of the long straw into the connector by hand each time

so moving forward...to refresh acf-50... will climb under and place the long 50 inch nozzle end into the connector
by hand, then attach the can to the tail and let it rip. it's pretty easy and just need to lay on back to do it
and w/o removing the black cover I can reach in and put the end right up into the connector. blast, then pull
whole thing out and wrap up for next time.
Does it get all over when done this way? Thanks for posting this solution.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Does it get all over when done this way? Thanks for posting this solution.
Can we do it with CRC instead too, because doing this way, we won't know how the clamp actually looks, and we will just keep adding layers every year. And there might still some spots didn't get covered though, but i guess that's still better than doing nothing. @crisps Thanks for sharing. (y)

·
Registered
244 Posts
acf-50 is thin, don't think anything thicker will work on a long straw. crc ultra thin film would be what
to use on a 50 inch straw so it won't clog

yes it makes a dribbly purple thin mess but it's all over the braid and connector
where I want it, some drips down the cable onto the black pan. doesn't matter to me

as far as coverage....acf-50 really creeps, you don't have to hit all the parts
just some drops at the top it'll get everywhere

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
I determined, this afternoon, the proper design use for the tray beneath the rear motor . . . . . . to catch the drips of CRC Marine Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor as the excess of the generously applied material slowly drains from within the clamshell casing that surrounds the braided shielding, conductors, and clamp, of the three-phase cable and plug.

• Haha
Reactions: Colonel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well you guys will put salt on your roads. Not a problem down under - unless we drive along the beach. I do not see how this is a warranty issue.
I don’t agree, as an electrical component to run the car at minimum should be sealed to protect from road environments. If the roofing on your house failed you would scream, if a plumber installed a bad part and it floods your house. You get the idea.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don’t agree, as an electrical component to run the car at minimum should be sealed to protect from road environments.

Like under the basic warranty 🤔

• Powertrain Coverage is 60 months/60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of first use and includes engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system and rear-wheel drive system.
  • Rust-Through Coverage is 60 months/unlimited miles, from the date of first use regardless of mileage and covers corrosion perforation of sheet metal.
"Rust-Through Coverage is 60 months/unlimited miles,

If they adjusted this to include corrosion on electrical connectors , would that be enough.....🤔

Different localities use different formulations on their roads in the winter time....
A little surprised that no one mentions what happens to what is used on the roads for environmental concerns.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Has anyone done a write-up yet on taking off the orange cover and coating with CRC? I'll plan on doing mine this weekend.
Here ya go . . . . .
#1,102

For what it's worth, I've a unit mfgd in July '19 with the whole clamshell cover, no cut-away design. I separated the two halves, cleaned everything and masked off with painters tape and brown-wrap paper, and then soaked the inside of the clamshell as well as the braiding, clamp, and wires, put the clamshell back together . . . . as it leaked CRC, put the "splash" tray back to catch the drips, and I'm good to go until next summer when I'll check it again. It is a garage queen so I'm not expecting any issues.

Reactions: Keith_A

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
979 Posts
All,

I purchased* a copy of the complaint filed with the U.S. District Court in New Jersey, so if anyone wants to buy me a beer to offset my costs, I like ambers, particularly anything labeled "Oktoberfest."

*The fee will be waived unless I go on a downloading spree within US Court documents.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
135 Posts
This reminds me of what is going on with the Ford Mustang Mach E high voltage contactors located in the battery overheating and possibly welding shut or open. When it happens (and more and more of the Mach E's are affected especially the GT and GTPE models) the car becomes inoperable and immobile. Ford is aware of the defective HVJB contactor not being designed to handle the current loads put on them. I felt like I was driving a potential "time bomb" with this happening more and more. Ford's idea of a fix for this recall amounted to a software download that warns the owner that the HVJB was about to fail and to bring it in to the dealer. Instead, Ford should replace all these defective parts but they will not do it until the contactors fail. Ford has had a least two lawsuits filed against them so far.

This was one reason I sold my Mach E and purchased the RAV4 Prime. The other reason was a lack of range which even got worse in cold weather. My wife developed extreme range anxiety with the car and I started to believe it was unreliable. Probably for financial reasons, Ford won't do the right thing and replace these contactors relying instead on the software to tell their customers their cars are about to fail (and you might be in Timbuktu when it happens as some horror stories about what has happened are documented on other forums).

I thought I was alleviating this sort of problem and now I see Toyota looks like it is playing the same game in not replacing the defective cables with new ones that are designed not to corrode. And like some of the Mach E owners, lawsuits were filed. It looks like deja vu here with this corrosion problem on the cables and I never imagined that Toyota would fail to react to remedy the situation properly. They have put in a tray to help the cable from some of the elements like road slat, dirt, etc., but it seems like this doesn't completely solve the situation.

Oh joy. I thought by having a late model 2022 this would have been corrected but the Car Nut pointed this out when evaluating the 2022 RAV4 Prime. When I bring it in October 19th I'm going to question him further about what can be done.

1741 - 1760 of 1772 Posts