Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not bad in the 2016 Hybrid, but not as quiet as some luxury cars (like Lexus).

This has been discussed before by others BTW. I don't have experience with the older models, but several posters here say the 2016s (Hybrid and non-Hybrid) are quieter than the 2015 and older models.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I've had a 2015 Limited and a 2016 Limited Hybrid, the Hybrid is a fair bit quieter and a bit softer riding, there's also less engine noise when the ICE is running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope so I realy like the Rav but want it to be relatively quiet at 110kph. I tested a forester and it was very loud. Very annoying. I might have to step up to a Lexus nx or BMW X1. I need to find a dealer near a highway for another test drive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just be aware that the Lexus NX doesn't have the same storage space.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't really notice the sound of the engine unless I'm giving it a lot of power. Even then, it's not loud. I've only heard wind noise when I open the moon roof.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My son test drove my 2016 Limited Hybrid. When mashing the throttle he said--to paraphrase Shakespeare "the engine is full of sound and fury but signifies nothing". I am inclined to agree. It makes a lot of engine noise under hard acceleration but it is no speed demon.

However, as a cruiser, I find the noise comfortable. I have not noticed wind or excessive tire noise. The sound system is easy to hear. I am not familiar with earlier RAV4s so I can't compare to those. It is much quieter than my 2005 Prius was and don't think it is any worse than the 2010 Venza I've used on several long trips.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It should be noted that you get a more gradual acceleration on the Hybrid than with a regular automatic transmission because of the Hybrid's ECVT transmission, as you probably already know. And furthermore, while it is no speed demon, it has a significantly faster 0-60 acceleration than the gas-only RAV4. The RAV4 Hybrid is rated at 8.1 s.

It is also much faster than my 2004 Prius and 2012 Prius Plug-in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Or just get an older RAV4 with the V6.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Don't know how or where this fits in but I just rented a 2016 Camry with 33 miles on it last week. I mostly kept the radio off and concentrated on my GPS and getting a slow car into the correct of Las Vegas' many terribly marked 6-lane streets, but it had an annoying amount of road noise. Sounded like bad wheel bearings to me. From owning many of them I'm used to Honda's notoriously high road noise, but this Camry's was so bad I'd never buy one.

In any case, if you're at all sensitive in that area a test drive on several roads at various speeds is mandatory. This Camry was terrible on any surface at any speed.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
RAV4 V6: 19 mpg city
RAV4 Hybrid: 34 mpg city

That's a 79% improvement in gas mileage in the city. :surprise
Yep, and I bet much of the V6's mileage loss is idling at traffic lights. The Camry I just posted about was reading 24 mpg in virtually all city driving. While sitting at lights waiting seemingly forever for cross traffic and turn lanes I wondered how much mileage my hybrid Accord would be saving with it's Auto Stop shutting off the engine. Made me want to shut the Camry off every light, but I figured I'll live with a few days and then I'll be back home.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It should be noted that you get a more gradual acceleration on the Hybrid than with a regular automatic transmission because of the Hybrid's ECVT transmission,
The biggest difference is in perception. The hybrid system offers none of the physical feedback that we drivers are accustomed to. No running through the gears or the feel of shifting, the sound, etc. etc. More often than not the hybrid is accelerating quicker than you think it is. Some folks remark that its like driving a video game, and they feel disconnected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Balien,

maybe you can check
Alex has a detailed decimal number for cabin noise of every model they recently reviewed. I'm also very interested in cabin noise level as you :)

I hope so I realy like the Rav but want it to be relatively quiet at 110kph. I tested a forester and it was very loud. Very annoying. I might have to step up to a Lexus nx or BMW X1. I need to find a dealer near a highway for another test drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6 Posts
rav4 hybrid cabin noise

I own the Rav4 XLE Hybrid. I would say the RAV4 Hybrid cabin is noisy. I think it is as noisy as my 04 Accord EX-L, but the RAV4 Hybrid 's cabin noise is more irritating( like a humming noise ) than the Accord's. If I open the RAV4 front windows, it's noisier but it's less irritating . I am wondering if anyone has a way to improve the cabin noise and want to share.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm having quite the opposite experience. Its very quiet in our XLE Hybrid. My wife falls asleep in it when we go for drives because it is that quiet. The braking noise is not loud enough to be disruptive. The only other way I see to improve the cabin is to put foam on top of the spare tire in the back covering the opening to quiet that area, otherwise only a luxury car would be quieter in my opinion from our experience with this car so far.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I drove two XLE Hybrids before I bought my Limited Hybrid which is just as quiet as the XLEs and a fair bit quieter than the '15 Limited gas that I owned prior. From other reports here the OEM tires are to blame for a lot of the road noise and an upgrade to good tires made a big difference.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Or just get an older RAV4 with the V6.
We have two and they are indeed very noisy on the highway. Much of that depends on the road surface though.NOT a well insulated choice at all. No doubt the hybrid would be quieter.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I drove a 2006 V6 base model for 9yrs, it had a lot more road noise than the 2015 Limited, no comparison to the Limited Hybrid, a tire change made an improvement tho.

Tim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts