Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thought I'd share this with some of you because it took me weeks before I finally found how the Hill Ascent Control works (of course reading the manual helps):

1. Stand still (on a hill if you want)
2. Put your foot on the brake
3. Press down hard on the brake pedal
4. You should hear a beep and the traction control warning light should start flashing
5. Take your foot of the pedal and the car will stand still for two seconds without (you) braking (more beeps mean the HAC period is over)

This is how it works on my manual transmission RAV4.3. It's a handy feature to have. On auto trannies I guess it doesn't have a lot of added value I guess. I find it helpful, especially since my clutch doesn't do what I want it to (see the Mechanical section).

D

·
0 Posts
I have tested the HAC on my one-week new RAV4 with automatic transmission. It is great!
The italian manual is not really clear about it, but the explanation of NLRAV really helped (thank you!).
I found that to engage the HAC on my RAV4, I have to heavily push the brake pedal to get the beep (the pedal was already pushed as I stopped on a grade; so I had to push much more).
Will check it on a very steep hill (as soon as I find one) to see if the car rolls backwards.
I will check also the DAC (downhill assist control) soon.

C

·
0 Posts
The G Man said:
On some newer cars with auto transmission, if the hill is steep enough, it will roll backward even in drive.
Isn't that what your left foot is for? :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I haven't used that function on mine... how does it work... (dont' want to go to the manual)

B

·
0 Posts
I actually find the auto tranny in the V6 allows the car to roll back much more than I'm used to. Not that that's an issue - just another part of the new vehicle learning process.

I had Hill Descent Control on my old Freelander. It was cool the couple of times I tried it but unless you are really going off road, its a bit gimicky and if you do go properly off road, you'd probably want something other than a RAV.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried my HAC today and it puts the brakes on for you for a couple of seconds. It works in neutral, which is kinda neat I guess?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts