Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I'm looking for some nose upgrade suggestions for our Barcelona Red '06 RAV4 after hitting a deer ONE MILE from home - the area you should never drive in!
Hit it in the front right corner and took out the headlight, hood, fender and a bunch of other parts totaling $2000. With labor at a trusted body shop the grand total is $4661 so with my $250 deductible I'll be getting a check for $4411.
I'm planning on new blacked out halo headlights such as these: For 2006-2008 Toyota Rav4 Dual LED Halo Projector Black Headlights Pair | eBay
and wondering what later year grills will fit and any other tasteful upgrades that won't reduce its resale value.

I may be in the market for a 2011-2012 V6 or maybe even one of those infamous 2019 Hybrids that someone wants to get out of because they can't get gas in.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Bad news for your Barcelona Red RAV4, but hope that you at least got to keep the deer! Good luck with the upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The good news, if any, is the car still drives straight and perfect.
I don't have the taste for venison and altho I own a large tract of forest land and let friends hunt on it, I don't myself so I didn't ask the officer about harvesting the deer. But I suspect the PD has a list of folks who didn't let the animal go to waste.

·
Super Moderator
10,894 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Here is a very low miles '08 Limited if you're interested:

·
Registered
493 Posts
After I had cracked my front bumper from a <5MPH accident, I looked to replace it myself since there was no underlying damage. I had contemplated about using a bumper from '09-'12 model, searched for available pictures as much as possible but eventually settled on a bumper from an '08 since it was just easier. From what I had gathered, (1) you can't use the later year grills without the proper bumper and (2) the undercarriage cover may be different as well. The '09-'12 Sport and LTD models also had fender flares, so unless your '06 was a Sport model, there won't be flares along the rest of the body. The '06-'08 also has the radio antenna in the right fender, whereas '09-'12 was relocated to the roof.

I believe the '09-'12 headlight would fit in since all the mounting points and tabs, and electrical connections look fine. Just recently, I had contemplated about getting those headlights you linked since I wanted to try a HID system in a projector lens. However, after Googling for reviews from those vendors/companies, I didn't feel comfortable about buying them or 3rd party vendors that sell OEM-like headlights due to the complaints about (mainly) seals, light spread, or function. So I bought a set of OEM Sport headlights from a salvage yard (car-part.com) planning to retrofit a HID kit from TRS. I'm sure people will be wondering why I'm spending $ into a 14-yr vehicle, but I'm just getting their basic Acme kit so I can keep enjoying the V6 as much as possible. :p My son was asking me why I seem to accelerate so fast, if he only understood. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dr. Dyno you should post before and after pictures like Junebug.
Will do when she's done. Was at the body shop today. They're in the parts acquisition phase now so she's just sitting there in the rain looking lonely! Will have a new look tho since I ordered the halo projector lights on Amazon today.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the '09-'12 headlight would fit in since all the mounting points and tabs, and electrical connections look fine. Just recently, I had contemplated about getting those headlights you linked since I wanted to try a HID system in a projector lens. However, after Googling for reviews from those vendors/companies, I didn't feel comfortable about buying them or 3rd party vendors that sell OEM-like headlights due to the complaints about (mainly) seals, light spread, or function. So I bought a set of OEM Sport headlights from a salvage yard (car-part.com) planning to retrofit a HID kit from TRS. I'm sure people will be wondering why I'm spending $ into a 14-yr vehicle, but I'm just getting their basic Acme kit so I can keep enjoying the V6 as much as possible. :p My son was asking me why I seem to accelerate so fast, if he only understood. ;)
Yep, V6 as long as possible! I test drove an '11 the other day. It was not only fun but I kinda enjoyed scaring the car flipper seller. Once I told him I was a moderator on RAV4 World he stopped trying to BS me. Guess I'll wait till I get our '06 back.

I did order the eBay halo headlights I linked to but had to do it on Amazon since I had to return a set I'd bought for my F-250 from the same seller due to a blotchy beam pattern. Figured they might block this next purchase.

Since I'm often traveling dark back roads to dyno events, in an effort to get stronger light from the F-250 I'd tried several supposed super bright halogen bulbs in the stock headlights with worse-than-stock results. While considering LED or HID alternatives I bought two Alla LEDs, the same brand I used on my '18 Accord after an online recommendation. For one such trip I installed one of them in the right headlight in case it was dimmer than stock again. Instead it was THREE times as bright, a fact I confirmed with the LUX app on my phone. Then I finally found a set of headlights with 13-LED DRLS the Allas work well in. One trick I used was grounding the DRLs to the hot signal light lead. Now they blink the opposite of the signals.

FWIW, I did try LEDs in halo projector fog lights for the F-250. They were terrible so I ran the stock halogens.
I'm anticipating staying with the halogens that come with the halo projectors for the RAV4

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Here is a very low miles '08 Limited if you're interested:

Thanks Rick but I don't place a premium on or pay extra for low mileage. Would rather buy a newer '11 or '12 with relatively high mileage. Back when I was looking for our '06 I told one dealer whose price was too high and asked me "what can we do to make you happy," I said, "go put some miles on it to get the price down." Bet they never heard that one before!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep, V6 as long as possible! I test drove an '11 the other day. It was not only fun but I kinda enjoyed scaring the car flipper seller. Once I told him I was a moderator on RAV4 World he stopped trying to BS me. Guess I'll wait till I get our '06 back.
My friend and I once went to check out a '93 Camry SE V6 5-speed and the sales guy was quite taken back at the "fun" test drive. I eventually bought it, lowered it with H&R springs and fitted a TRD short shifter in there. It was such fun and should've kept it for its rarity, but oh well, the '98 S/C'd Camry was much more fun at that time. :)

Every time my '06 gets into "issues," I always look what later Gen3 years are available, but ultimately, I fix and go back to the '06.

I separated out the OEM Sport headlight assemblies this week. Now just waiting for a deal to get the retrofit parts.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts