Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

New to the forum but I've hovered in read only mode for about a year now. I've been planning a purchase of a Rav4 about the same amount of time I've been lurking here and just last month I sprung on the 2016 Rav4 XLE AWD. I absolutely love it.

Fast forward until today. I had a hitch and electronic brake controller and wiring harness installed by a company that has been doing hitches since 1950 that gives lifetime warranties on every hitch and component they install. These guys seem to really know their stuff. Everything was fine until I got home.

Now every time I get in the car and start it, I get the following warnings: "Low Braking Power, please see owners manual for details, please see dealer" followed by "Anti lock Brake System Malfunction, please see dealer" followed by "AWD disabled, 2WD mode enabled". This disables my ECO and Sport modes as well since the system is designed to work with AWD and that mode is disabled.

I tried pulling some fuses to clear the error message to no avail. Has anyone had any issues like this in the past? Can anyone direct me as to what the issue might be? I'd rather try NOT taking it into the dealer if I can because it'll cost me 100-200 bucks just for them to hook the computer up to it. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Responding only because no one else has. I'm not a Toyota guru but I know Honda's pretty well and it sounds similar enough to speak up. I think you NEED to go back to the place that installed it - no matter how good you think they are, and make sure you have the right controller. Honda wiring is built just good enough for the factory lighting and not much more - trying to tap off too much power can kill everything. Toyota? They either used some kind of universal controller instead of what you actually need or they tapped off some power from a bad place.

Hoping someone with Toyota-specific knowledge can jump in here?

·
Super Moderator
10,224 Posts
First I'd try disconnecting the power from the taillight adapter, then from the brake controller to see if the errors go away. (Pulling the fuses should have done the same thing.) If they do than either or both of those components are incorrectly wired or not compatible with the electronics in your RAV4. That's an installer not a Toyota issue and Toyota will only send you back to the installer.

Related: I installed a taillight adapter in my RAV4 which worked with no problems until one day I got a similar "Braking Power" error. Turned out I'd disconnected the ground from the adapter while doing some other work in that area. Apparently feedback between the turn and brake lights confused the brake electronics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Saga continues.

I disconnected EVERYTHING. Took it back to the hitch company and found out that they do hitches for the exact same Toyota dealership I take my Rav4 to get serviced. Nifty side info there....anyway, they removed everything and I took it back to Toyota for them to clear the computer.

The computer won't clear.

Now Toyota is saying that the ABS system either has a shorted wire, fried component, or missing/removed ground. They are charging me 260 bucks to hunt for the issue and find it. Depending on what it is...could cost me a pretty penny.

Note to self...if I don't want to install the 7pin flat and electric brake system myself...take it to the dealership and pay the extra...it's going to end up costing me about the same they quoted me for everything and I'll have no wiring when I'm done :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

They found the issue. Turns out that there were sliced wires on a wiring harness for ABS. When the hitch company poked a hole through the firewall to get through to the engine, they accidentally cut those wires. So, all in all this was a appx 850 bucks to fix.

The good news is, the hitch company refunded me my money for the electronic brake system, they paid for the diagnostic work to reset the computer (failed) and they paid for all the work to fix the wiring. I also left the hitch they installed on and still have a lifetime warranty on it :)

All in all, good company who stands behind their work and just accidentally hit the wiring harness. They were very apologetic and took good care of me through the process and the Toyota guys worked with them too.

Moral of the story: You're at the mercy of your hitch installer if you don't go through Toyota. Glad mine was a good company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts