Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey do any of you have the hitch height for a 2014 rav4? I dont have the hitch installed yet but would like to jump the gun and get the correct height for it and a harbor freight trailer if anyone has that as well that would be awesome! (Coupler Height I guess its called) Its just the standard 4x8 trailer from Harbor freight.

Just trying to figure out if I need a drop or rise on the receiver and how much Im following this guide.

Choosing the Correct Ball Mount | etrailer.com

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The hitch height as shown at etrailer will all depend upon which hitch you plan to install on your RAV4. I purchased and installed the Toyota OEM hitch with wire harness and my hitch height is 16 inches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The height would be determined by the type and tongue weight of the trailer to be towed.
Are you sure? Sorry im confused in the link above that I posted. The only thing that determines it is the type of hitch/receiver like the guy above said resses/OEM/Uhaul

Or am I wrong sorry i pretty have much have no idea what im talking about lol.

I am getting the U-Haul trailer hitch installed by them. I should have said that in the first post. I just need a extension (with the ball on it)

So if you have a hitch from uhaul and know the height please let me know

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
What you are shooting for with the hitch height is for the towed item (and vehicle) to be as level as possible. For instance......the height of the ball might be different if you are towing a small boat as opposed to a U-Haul trailer. Don't overthink it. A slightly higher or lower plug in to the hitch is cheap if you need to adjust it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe you should only need a standard receiver as the hitch is going to be low to the ground installed. I have a etrailer 2" receiver hitch and it would allow a standard trailer to be pretty level. Drop receivers are more for your larger p/u trucks and taller vehicles. I'm thinking of getting the foldable 4x8 HF trailer myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
Come to think of it the HF trailer couldn't hold that much. I think Carguy33 is right....standard receiver will work. I should have read more closely.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
168 Posts
Here’s an adjustable height ball mount for 2” hitch receivers. It’s got a 6” drop/rise.

CURT 45901 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, 2-Inch Receiver, 6-3/4-Inch Drop, 1-Inch Hole, 6,000 lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SMGAIW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CYPVZSJV29ACJ6A3SYX7

Alternatively, if you have a 2.5” receiver you can get this:

CURT 45902 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, 2-1/2-Inch Receiver, 6-Inch Drop, 2 and 2-5/16-Inch Balls, 20,000 lbs Amazon.com: CURT 45902 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, 2-1/2-Inch Receiver, 6-Inch Drop, 2 and 2-5/16-Inch Balls, 20,000 lbs: Automotive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.