Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm going to buy a class III trailer hitch from www.drawtite-hitches.com ... I'm just worried about the wiring harness that comes with the hitch, well, is purchased separately from the hitch on their site. I'm not sure if its a true custom wire harness ... Does anyone know of a custom trailer hitch wire harness available from somewhere for the rav4, 2001? How about possible a better hitch or etailer to purchase the hitch from?

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you find out, let me know, I'm looking for the same thing. I currently have one I can splice into the existing wiring, but would rather have one that plugs into the tail light harness.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the wiring I wanted ... it was about $27 more than the generic wiring from the draw-tite website.

I bought everything from www.etrailer.com ... including the wiring specifically for the rav4. Here's the link to it: http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...e_Code=E&Product_Code=33465&Category_Code=VWH it should work. I found it by doing a search for a hitch for the rav4 I have, and in the results, included in each section for the hitch results is a link to the wiring. The link above is specifically for the 2001 rav4, I don't know if its different for newer or older models. The part code for the wiring is 33465 .
I believe its $49.95 with shipping. Here's a code for a 5% discount on www.etrailer.com ... XJJB7 ... FYI, incase this breaks any rules, the card they gave me with the 5% discount code says to share it with friends, so, there it is. Enjoy!

P.S. - Enter the code at checkout, as it says on the card I have. Hope this helps!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's exactly what I was looking for.....I love this place.

I have one on order.

Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking into doing this my self but I am concerned about the wireing, for the wireing harness found on etrailer, where does it connect to the tail light harness, I assume in the trunk somewhere right? I purchased something similar for my trunk and all the wireing was exposed under the bed but it doesn't appear to be the case for the RAV4.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,Dan

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the wiring is at the taillight access door in the rear. It is very simple with said etrailer harness. PLUG AND PLAY!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the wiring harness exit the vehicle when in use? Is it pinched between the door and door sill or does it exit through an opening? Also, is there a good link that describes the process of installing the harness?

Thanx

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I ran mine through, I pulled up that little storage area in the back and found a drain hole there. Since you plug into plugs at the back of both lights you just run the wires under the trim panel on the back and down through the drain hole. I will try to grab a pciture of mine later today and post it. Works really well and I just used a small zip tie on one of the chain tabs on the hitch to hold the wires up out of the way.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trailer wiring

Did you have to remove any interior trim panels to install the wiring kit? At etrailer the instructions say you gotta take interior panels off....and you need a tool called a trim panel remover...where do I get that?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old topic, but...... :roll:
I bought a Hidden Hitch for the '05 from a fellow RAVer on here and the wiring kit is not the "Plug and Play" type,.....gotta do some splicing. Did the wiring on my 4.1 hitch, so it's not a problem. But since Plug and Play is so big now, none of the hitch suppliers show the wiring color code anymore......

I need to know the wiring color code and which side is easiest to put the module on, or does it really matter.....?
Also which way did you route the single wire to the other side to pick up the opposite turn signal......?.....or can it all be picked up on the one side....?

TIA

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for the informative discussions about hitch wiring. I got a "t-connector" wiring harness, and the directions of course are never specific enough for me. I read through many posts in this forum and got lots of great advice from them and hooked up the wires today. It was very easy, and I did not break anything. I was going to just pinch the wires in the door until I read the post above about using the drain hole. I'm not sure I want to leave that drain hole open (without the rubber stopper), so I may only use it when pulling my boat, or I may cut a slit in the rubber stopper and squeeze the wires through it. Any downside to that? I just want to keep moisture out of the inside of the car, if possible.

Ralph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts