Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll start off the 1st topic to this 4.1 modification forum. :D I just installed the HKS Sport muffler the other day. Had to take it into a performance exhaust shop, because they did a custom cat back piping through the rear subframe brace. Also, the HKS muffler was designed for an earlier RAV ('95 - '97) and mine's is a 1998; therefore, the muffler hangers ARE DIFFERENT between those model years.

The exhaust shop creatively attached new mountings to the HKS muffler so that it would fit onto my OEM muffler hanger and bracket. :D You will also notice from the pictures that the cat back piping is now run through the rear subrame brace instead of underneath. Because I am planning on lowering the RAV, I did not want to sacrifice any more ground interference from the exhaust pipes if possible.

As for my 1st impressions about the HKS Sport exhaust with the custom cat back piping? It is definitely louder than OEM, especially when accelerating. Not too loud though that it would be annoying to the driver or passengers. As for power, YES!!!! I've noticed improved pickup response during acceleration and especially during hard runs to the top end. Was it worth the money spent, I would have to say yes on that too! I got the HKS muffler for about $200 USD on EBay (definitely more expensive elsewhere online). I also had to spend roughly $200 USD for the install of the muffler and custom cat back piping. I am very pleased with the results and so is the custom cold air induction on my RAV! :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Wonderful! I have been pondering the idea of a custom exhaust with high flow cat, but didn't want anything obnoxiously loud. That looks great Derek, I am definately leaning towards the HKS muffler now.

W

·
0 Posts
THe nosie will be loud, becoz of your pipes....
if u want some of the noise gone then install a resonnator or even two if you want a quieter note from your exhuast...

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Like your muffler Derek, I was also thinking of positioning the exhaust tube through the rear suspension. I also need to do that because the rear anti-sway bar is about an inch away from the exhaust tube. Every time I start the engine it gives a little vibrating noise. My wife hates it [what else is new :D ] Is that 2 inches of 2.25? Looks neat, you don't have to worry about slamming your muffler in a lumpy, sandy, muddy road. Great all around installment dude.

J

·
0 Posts
Derek, I just bought an HKS muffler like yours and was wondering if you think it is loud enough to have a resonator like WTFRAV suggested. Also, this is directed to everyone, since I have a high flow cat on the way should i go ahead and get 2" piping starting at the headers?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JDUB, In my opinion; the HKS muffler is not that loud. Who knows, if I have left the OEM cat back piping that had the OEM resonator on it; it would be even quieter. The custom cat-back piping (2.25") without any resonator is probably what makes it seem loud. If you are going to keep the OEM cat back pipe, you would probably be o.k. You might want to get the opinion of DJSueno about how loud his HKS muffler is; I believe he still has the OEM cat back pipe on his 2 door RAV.

As for being TOO loud; I can live with it (it actually sounds pretty cool) and warns other drivers not to mess around with my RAV :lol: . Also, the biggest judge of loudness (my wife) hasn't complained yet; so we'll see. I'm sure you will like your new HKS muffler; it looks and SOUNDS great! :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
JDUB, i would recommend you get 2" piping from high flow cat to resonator to muffler. I only have 2" piping from stock cat to resonator to straight thru cannon muffler and it's pretty loud (gonna be changing the muffler soon).

J

·
0 Posts
Yea that sounds like a good idea Mohit, my mom already complained about my cold air intake... which isn't loud at all. I was shuttling her to the movie theatre, and I punched it to the redline. I think she refered to it as a surge of testosterone. So with the HKS muffler, high flow cat, and 2" piping on there I might as well move out.

J

·
0 Posts
The place i ordered from didn't have it in stock so they tried to order it from HKS, but HKS has discontinued it so I just cancelled the order. Anyone one know where I can get one, at this point i am willing to pay around 400 for it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JDUB1187 said:
The place i ordered from didn't have it in stock so they tried to order it from HKS, but HKS has discontinued it so I just cancelled the order. Anyone one know where I can get one, at this point i am willing to pay around 400 for it.
JDUB, keep your eye out on eBay! That is where DJ and I got ours from. It is from a place called HKS Outlet and they turn up on eBay once in a blue moon. If I see another one come up for auction, I'll let you know as soon as possible. :)

p.s. - they auction for about $180 - $200, with free shipping to the Continental U.S., that is a great deal my friend! :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Great looking install Derek - have you thought about dyno-testing your RAV4 to get some performance figures based on your custom CAI and your new exhaust setup? :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nah Andrew... I would rather save the money spent on dynoing for other mods. :) I can definitely feel the difference now that the HKS and straight through 2.25" piping has been installed; especially at higher RPMs and speed.

Maybe a custom header should be installed to complete the NA performance mods to my RAV. I'll wait to see what you Aussies cook up at R4OZ. :wink:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Derek you have a 2WD Rav so the pipe fits nicely through that center suspension member where some of us have a differential in the back.

J

·
0 Posts
derek, would you mind if i printed out a picture of the muffler hanger on your HKS muffler and showed it to the guys at the exhaust shop to make their jobs a little easier.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts