Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built my own cargo carrier for my new curt hitch receiver. Might have made it a bit heavy, but I know it won't break. I noticed the rear squatting pretty good when it was all loaded up. Checked how much travel there was and found only about 3/4-1 inch until the bump stops hit. Only felt it bottom out going slow over speed bumps. I am definitely going to upgrade the springs in the back to the 3rd row springs for ride height and for heavy loads. Anyone have the same issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Very nice carrier. Do you tie everything down when the car is moving? I have a 4x4 utility trailer for camping with a front basket to haul 3 bikes. The front part is longer to hold the basket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely use ratchet straps to tie everything down. Drilled 5/8" holes under the upper rail to accommodate the strap hooks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looks great! Part of the reason it’s squatting so much is the weight all the way out there acts like a cantilever with the rear wheels being the hinge point. Definitely time for airbags or the 3rd row springs.

Given how long it is, you should at least add reflectors to it, or a trailer lighting system. I’ve done this with my bike rack, as my taillights are blocked when we have our bikes on. In your case, the end of that basket looks to be 3’ or more from the rear bumper, so most jurisdictions would require lighting. Should be able to get a decent set from Amazon, Harbor Freight, Wally World, or Princess Auto if you’re on my side of the border.

Nice job!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Looks great! Part of the reason it’s squatting so much is the weight all the way out there acts like a cantilever with the rear wheels being the hinge point. Definitely time for airbags or the 3rd row springs.

Given how long it is, you should at least add reflectors to it, or a trailer lighting system. I’ve done this with my bike rack, as my taillights are blocked when we have our bikes on. In your case, the end of that basket looks to be 3’ or more from the rear bumper, so most jurisdictions would require lighting. Should be able to get a decent set from Amazon, Harbor Freight, Wally World, or Princess Auto if you’re on my side of the border.

Nice job!
I think the turn signals can be seen so need for additional lighting. What may be better is just adding reflective tapes at the back for better visibility. The 3rd row spring will fix the squatting at the rear.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The front wheels are unloaded, so you are losing their steering grip. Is that an I4?
If you have just 1" left on travel with OE springs, I think that's too much cantilever load. The rated tongue weight comes with a max applied distance from the axle.
You move that center of weight "out", you need to use less weight to keep the same resulting torque (ft.lb or kg.m). For an I4 that's 150lbs/68kg at 41.4"/1051mm away from axle. I would load the heavier items (like the propane bottle) closer to the car.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think the turn signals can be seen so need for additional lighting. What may be better is just adding reflective tapes at the back for better visibility. The 3rd row spring will fix the squatting at the rear.
Depends on the jurisdiction he’s operating in. Ontario (for you and I) requires a reg flag - reflector could do - at 3’ from the body. Looks like that basket is more than 3’ from the bumper, and Princess Auto (OP is in Canada, from a previous post) has a trailer light kit on sale starting Tuesday. Given my experience with unintentional tailgaters while towing my cargo trailer or with the bikes on, I would prefer lights on the back of that basket. Too often I look behind and see people stopped behind me the right distance from my RAV if the trailer wasn’t there, except that it is! No clearance... trying to judge distance on a rear protrusion from behind is a challenge, hence the red flag rule.

Maybe Hot Tub Porsche Guy in Woodstock should have had lights too... didn’t see any in the pic!

Reactions: SoNic67
1 - 8 of 8 Posts