Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to toyota to have our RAV4 scheduled service..Beside the toyota is the honda dealership.. i think toyota and honda dealership here have same owner because they have the same name.. and I saw the 2006 Honda Pilot...I asked the Salesguy if i could take a peek of the Pilot...and he said "yes" of course. :) the interior is nice..the exterior features caught my eyes..projector headlights, clear tail lamp...also it has a side marker lights...when i checked the specifications...244hp v6? i was surprised because the 2006 rav4 have 268hp? am i correct 268hp?

·
Registered
233 Posts
They are using new standards to measure HP. The old SAE was too optimistic ( measured at the crank, instead of driven wheel) and this Pilot may be a "victim" of this. :roll:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Omega Man said:
They are using new standards to measure HP. The old SAE was too optimistic ( measured at the crank, instead of driven wheel) and this Pilot may be a "victim" of this. :roll:
I know they are changing the way HP is determined, but I didn't think HP was measured at the wheel. If that were the case HP figures would drop by about 20% and not the single digit reductions I have seen and read about.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah the new SAE ratings simply reflect stricter procedures for essentially the same test. Manufacturers were doing a bit of tuning rather than testing the car as it is sold.

Think the Camry was hardest hit. Went from 210 to 190. The Pilot went from 255 to 244.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2005 Pilot is rated at 255 hp which is the same engine as the 2006. Yes, several Japanese models were "downrated". These old figures were due to "minmal oil in the crankcase and simulated exhaust systems" according to Motor Trend magazine. Most Japanese models will lose 10-20 hp under the new system.

Whatever the hp rating is, the Pilot has more than adequate power. The rav4 will be a rocket at anywhere near 250 hp.

Some people get caught up in the numbers. Seat of pants test drive is is a better indication of power for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts