Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 I-4 Base, hood seems loose, noticing some up and down movement at highway speeds. Pulled over and hood seemed latched. But still some play, like it was released by actuator inside. I don't think it can fly open but just doesn't seem right. Is there some adjustment to the latch under the hood? Thanks

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Seems to be a problem with some 4.3 RAVs. Suggest using the Search function on this forum, using the Search box at the upper right of the page. This is a link to one thread about the issue: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/81875-hood-shaking-while-hwy-speeds.html

My hood doesn't flex. The only inexpensive remedy I can see is to devise some sort of shims one can place over the two slotted rubber hood stops on either side of the front of the engine compartment or in the matching indentations on the underside of the hood which would force the hood to contact the latch more securely.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Reactions: paul white

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Mine still does it to this day, especially if the wind is blowing 25 mph or better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I did a little looking and it appears the spring in the latch on the hood itself is worn out. Not sure if this will help your issue or not but take a look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Accidental fix for loose hood?

Sorry for the zombie reply- I recently high-centered and tore off the flimsy plastic splash shield under the engine behind the front bumper; then noticed that the 'normal' hood bouncing (at the front in my case) reduced by 3/4 at hwy speed. Replaced the shield - the bouncing was back. Maybe the issue is from air getting ducted out in the wrong place (or not at all). Lots of folks likely have damaged splash shields; my dealer has put mine back on incorrectly after repairs, too. I might experiment with propping the shield open at the rear to change the engine compartment pressure. I have a 2011 V6 Base 4WD, no hood protector, w/ OEM rigid mud flaps - these attach into the splash shield and may also be a factor. It's like a jigsaw puzzle under there! Adjusting the front hood bumpers hadn't helped in my case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts