Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put ditch lights on the hood but I don’t want to drill into the hood. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what I can do.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,921 Posts
I’ve never heard of ditch lights before, but why couldn’t you just clamp them onto the roof rails?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to put ditch lights on the hood but I don’t want to drill into the hood. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what I can do.
Couldn't find any solutions online so made my own brackets, bought maybe 1" by 12" stainless steel piece 1/8" thick and cut into two pieces, bent 90 degrees twice at 45 degree angles (lightly scored inner part of bend with dremmel) and then sanded and painted black. Removed rubber trim piece on pillar that goes from fender to roof, there's a small bolt in there that I removed, bought a longer more sturdy stainless steel one and an extra nut to go underneath, attached my brackets to that bolt and placed ditch lights as far back / out as I could get them pointed maybe 30 degrees from front of vehicle. Lights were cheap $25 flood lights from auto store but have been great, just cant go super big with this mounting option. Trimmed a small slot out of the trim so could put it back on the vehicle and it looks great, Will attach two pics I already have, i'll remove the cover and show the bracket and mounting point when the rain lets up in a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve never heard of ditch lights before, but why couldn’t you just clamp them onto the roof rails?
Two reasons, first it is tough to wire them on top of the car without either going through the firewall and removing a ton of trim pieces, or running the wire outside the vehicle which wouldn't look great. It also creates a lot of glare on the hood. Having ditch lights lower down / forwards but angled to the sides allows you to get that visibility to either side without the light having to be on top of your vehicle. Also aerodynamics / mpgs are highly effected by things on top of your car so letting things stay smooth up top is ideal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok here's the pics of the setup. Also note the hood doesn't open much farther than needed to prop it open or it will make contact with the lights. If you ever needed to open it all the way would have to remove / angle the lights. Also, be sure to trim the bracket so it doesn't extend much past the bolt or it will contact the windshield, also the bend has to happen fairly close to it so it doesn't contact the fender.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey guys! I am a little late to the party but I was unable to find any brackets either. I contacted a couple of companies to fab one for me that will stay pretty low to the hood so I will definitely come and update my post once I have got all those situated. For the time being I ordered little light hood clamps which at first seemed like a piece of junk but I am honestly super surprised by how well they have done! Here is the link to exactly what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Bra...=1626967725&sprefix=hood+clamp,aps,207&sr=8-5

Second thing, I am working with a Dark Defense, Home , whom build so absolutely killer lights using real CREE led chip that are stupid bright. Using the promo code "WILDRAV4" can get you guys 28% anything on their website. My instagram is @wild_rav4 if you'd like to see my setup! I am getting a new rack and full DarkDefense setup on the roof in the next coming couple weeks! Shoot me a message anytime if you have any questions and I will definitely try and come post an update of the ditch light brackets once I know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts