Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read over on the Edmunds forum that a new owner was experiencing what he called "oil canning" of the hood at highway speeds in a strong wind. I think what he was saying is that the hood was flexing.

I'll be picking up a loaded LTD next week and found this post a little disturbing. Anybody else experience this ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I didn't experience it at high speeds, yet (break in period - he,he :D ) However, I did experiece it at a touchless car wash while going throw the high powered dryer. The dryer actually flexed the top of the hood.

V

·
0 Posts
Do you mean that the hood actually flexed a little bit from the wind?

Is the hood that flimsy?

hmmmmm. :shock:

·
Registered
363 Posts
The roof of my 99 Camry does that at some automatic car washes, you can hear it bouncing.

I do not think it is designed to take airflow from above.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I noticed today that ours does this, too. It doesn't flex much, but enough to notice. To see this, you have to look at a reflection off the top of the hood while driving. At 70 mph, I can see the reflection distort. All of the movement is located in the last foot of hood on the side of the windsheild.

G

·
0 Posts
It definitely does flex at highway speeds, but no more so than many other cars I've driven. My verdict: it's a nonissue.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine has flexed (or bounced) from Day 1. Had wondered if other's did or not.

At 60+ MPH, my hood bounces up & down (about 1/2") to no end. The first couple of times I noticed it, I pulled over, popped the hood & closed it again. Never helped though.

It's not the hood itself that flexes. It's actually the hood catch not pulling the hood all the way down.

No, it's not a major problem...more of a visual nuisance that should not be happening.

M

·
0 Posts
Mine's flexed hand washing it.

We also have a 1993 or 1994 Toyota T100 at work that when I drive anything above 30 the hood flexes like a charleston chew in the heat.

Terrible.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
HOOD FLEX

Well since people started to bring this up I checked on a new Sport at the dealers. The area of the hood off centerline and maybe half way up or so is very easy to flex with your hand and you can depress it 3/8 inch maybe.. There is no real support for it in that area.

Not a big deal I guess in the short run. Not sure what 5 years of highway driving would do to the fatigue life or the paint surface.

Only time will tell. I have never owned a car where I saw the hood flex at any speed. I guess Toyota has taken every ounce out of the RAV4 to get the weight down and the MPG up.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: HOOD FLEX

JIMD4 said:
Well since people started to bring this up I checked on a new Sport at the dealers. The area of the hood off centerline and maybe half way up or so is very easy to flex with your hand and you can depress it 3/8 inch maybe.. There is no real support for it in that area.

Not a big deal I guess in the short run. Not sure what 5 years of highway driving would do to the fatigue life or the paint surface.

Only time will tell. I have never owned a car where I saw the hood flex at any speed. I guess Toyota has taken every ounce out of the RAV4 to get the weight down and the MPG up.
kind of ... car safety laws in European Union mandate flexible hoods for pedestrian protection. There is also a lot of space between engine and the hood to help pedestrians on impact.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Again, the hood itself is not flexing. The front of the hood bounces up & down ~ 1/2". And it's because the hood catch is not pulling it down all the way.

M

·
0 Posts
rscotta831 said:
Again, the hood itself is not flexing. The front of the hood bounces up & down ~ 1/2". And it's because the hood catch is not pulling it down all the way.
In the T100's case and my Rav's case it's the hood flexing.

I can get the hood to do it by putting my hand on it as if I were washing the car (and have seen the hood FLEX while washing the car).

·
Registered
238 Posts
BarnyFife said:
rscotta831, they usually fix that by adjusting up the rubber bumpers that the hood rests upon when closed.
Mine bounces as well. I tried to play with the rubber adjusters - no success. It doesn't bother my girl but I guess I have to get used to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts