Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of these two accessories, both genuine toyota parts... Have you found them necessary? Pix available here.... http://www.toyota.com/rav4/accessories.html

Bumper Applique
Protects against scrapes and scratches associated with everyday use.

Hood Protector
Keep your vehicle's windshield and hood free from debris.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I think the hood protectors work good but are UGLY as sin..

I have seen the rear bumper applique and all it is a clear plastic sticker that goes on the top of the bumper. Im sure it works but only if you drag things out of the hatch are and let then drop onto the top of the bumper. Otherwise if your careful you will never need it.

H

·
0 Posts
I got the rear bumper applique and it<u> is</u> just a length of clear covering laminated on top. Not much to it really, but I guess it will avoid some inevitable scratches on the top of the bumper when loading stuff.

N

·
0 Posts
Hood protector would be better if it was clear instead of black. Then you'd barely see it.

K

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
I have seen the rear bumper applique and all it is a clear plastic sticker that goes on the top of the bumper.
So basically you could do it yourself with some clear contact paper.

K

·
0 Posts
NedKelly said:
Hood protector would be better if it was clear instead of black. Then you'd barely see it.
I think it depens on the color. For mine, I think the black would look good against the silver body. But for other colors I don't think it would look that good. Clear would definitely be a nice option.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
well, the Toyota one have a "Rav4" instripted in it but basically, yes you could do the same thing...

khakiboy said:
flyingn said:
I have seen the rear bumper applique and all it is a clear plastic sticker that goes on the top of the bumper.
So basically you could do it yourself with some clear contact paper.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the hood protector's make things noisier? It sounds like most of your are not getting them.

R

·
0 Posts
Star toyota in Bayside NY laminates the front of any vehicle they sell for around $250. This is a great investment to prevent the nicks you get on the highway

H

·
0 Posts
What do you mean "laminates it on"? Doesn't the stuff come with some kind of adhesive backing on it?
I mean....couldn't anyone actually apply it?
It would be great to get some on those rocker panels under the front doors!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Alternative paint protector

Check this out:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/paint-protection/

There are other products like it available to the Motorcycle world and they work great.

Once on it works great! I bought a used sport bike a couple years ago and the previous owner had this horrible fake carbon fiber glue on stuff protecting the gas tank (where your crotch goes when leaned forward) from scratches. When I removed it, he must have put it on and cut it to shape in place because there were razor marks in the paint.

I used this stuff in that area to prevent further damage to the paint from the already existing damage and it works great. I have a tank bra (covers the area of the gas tank in the most contact and at the greatest risk to scratching and damage) covering that, and the stuff never comes off and hasn't gotten dirt under it in the time it's been in place.

Can't attest to it's durability in a high use area of paintwork, but it's a cheap, safe for the paint, easy to use alternative to those expensive dealer options...

Of course that stuff won't provide deflection like those products will, but I have a feeling the aftermarket will come out with cheaper and more attractive products like those from Toyota not to long from now.

Just my .02 cents

R

·
0 Posts
If interested...here is a photo of the distributor installed rear bumper protector that is on our new RAV4:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
kuj said:
Is that the same as the Clear Bra?
Sounds like it to me. It's called paint protection film and is made by 3M or Avery. It's resold under a variety of names like Rockblocker or Stoneguard.

You can buy do-it-yourself kits but it's a bit tricky to install. I've had Avery film on the front of my Subaru for 2-1/2 years now and been very happy with the results. As far as UV damage goes, the film is designed to resist yellowing. None yet on my silver car.

Downside is that the film is significantly more expensive than the plastic hood deflector, but it looks better and provides much more coverage -- you can have it applied anywhere you want. Lots of people do the entire front end, but you also see people putting it on mirrors, the leading edge of the roof, rocker panels...

H

·
0 Posts
Made a mistake on that. I does go over the back edge of the bumper. I just double checked on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts