Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi rav xperts,

does the hood scoop in the 2004 rav4 S do something in regards to the cold air intake?

everytime i pop up the hood i see that the scoop does not have any air passage or whatsoever and is not even connected to the airbox.

does anybody know how this scoop actually works?
is it only for cosmetic purpose?
is it possible to take advantage of this scoop in line with sucking up cooler air?

pls help....
thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
hey pyxy_567
-unfortunetly hood scoop on Rav's doesn't do anything besides looking good.
-If you wanted to make ur hood scoop actually work you would have to make your own mod.
- I think that Europen diesel Rav4 actually uses hood scoop.

T

·
0 Posts
it does your engine no good... just a ornament makes your hood look good... if you don't want it i'll trade my non scoop one with you lol.

O

·
0 Posts
Indeed the scoop on the bonnet (Hood) of diesels directs air on to the intercooler which sits on top of the engine

R

·
0 Posts
I don't have a scoop and I did not know that it was ornamental only. Well, in that case, many cars on the road could be like that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
RAV4EVR said:
I don't have a scoop and I did not know that it was ornamental only. Well, in that case, many cars on the road could be like that.
here in USA it is only an ornament but in Europe it is actually used for cai in diesel engine I think

·
Registered
682 Posts
it's used for the intercooler, not a cai. in australia the bonnet sccop is purely for rice purposes as well.

·
Registered
986 Posts
As mentioned above, the hood scoop is purely cosmetic unless you have a diesel-powered Rav4. The design works well for an intercooler because the air drawn through the scoop and the intercooler is expelled under the engine. You really can't use the scoop to feed the air intake of the engine (unless it's a purely strip or sunny day car) because rain water can get sucked into the intake.

·
Registered
225 Posts
it is there for cosmetic purposes only. it does make the 'S' model look sporty, that's what the 'S' stands for anyway, Sport.
on a side note, when we first had our RAV two years ago. some rice boys are turning their heads and staring at our hood. :lol:
like in one instance, this dude even complemented it, he said 'nice car' :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too bad. :( ...anyways, i am trying to pry open the covering under the hood to look how this scoop is setup but too scared that i might damaged the insulation...

is there a trick in taking out this part ? i am very curious :shock: :shock: how the scoop looks like underneath....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts