Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, have always been a lurker but finally registered not too long ago. I hope someone can help me! My problem is that when I pull on the hood release (pretty loose, does not take much effort) the hood does not pop up. I have to prop the hood release with my wallet and then run to the front of the car and then lift the hood up. I sprayed some WD-40 on latch last night in hopes that it would help fix the issue. Is there something else I could do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Three things may be happening, the release mechanism may be partially seized, and not releasing the latch enough to allow the spring to pop up the hood, it needs adjustment or inner cable replacement, or the spring that lifts the hood after releasing the catch is broken. You have addressed the first with WD40, a waterproof grease might be better. You can check the second by having another person move the release lever while you watch the release mechanism under the hood after you have propped the hood up.. It should move the sliding release enough to allow the spring to pup up the hood that little bit needed to get your hand in there to release the safety catch and raise the hood under normal operation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three things may be happening, the release mechanism may be partially seized, and not releasing the latch enough to allow the spring to pop up the hood, it needs adjustment or inner cable replacement, or the spring that lifts the hood after releasing the catch is broken. You have addressed the first with WD40, a waterproof grease might be better. You can check the second by having another person move the release lever while you watch the release mechanism under the hood after you have propped the hood up.. It should move the sliding release enough to allow the spring to pup up the hood that little bit needed to get your hand in there to release the safety catch and raise the hood under normal operation.
Thanks for your suggestions! I will check it out tomorrow while my buddy changes my front brake pads.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
You didn't complete your profile so we don't know about your RAV's details apart from your having posted in the 4.4 forum. If your RAV is still under the 36-month, 36,000 mile warranty a Toyota dealer should diagnose and repair the problem at no cost to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn't complete your profile so we don't know about your RAV's details apart from your having posted in the 4.4 forum. If your RAV is still under the 36-month, 36,000 mile warranty a Toyota dealer should diagnose and repair the problem at no cost to you.
My apologies. I drive a 2014 Rav4 LE model with almost 41,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Neither does mine on my 2012.
When I pull the release I don't really feel or hear anything happening, but when I go to lift the hood, it lifts freely so that I
can get the 2nd release to lift completely.
Ott.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts