Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I can't find the exact information I'm looking for.

I'm planning to hook up my 2 12" xplodes and my 600w xplode amp. I want to keep the stock head unit so I'm going to splice in an output converter for my RCA's. This is all being hooked up in my base model 2008 Rav4

For me to complete all this I want to know the best place to tap into the speaker wires for the output converter, what color wires are for what and where the best place to put a ground would be. Also wanting to know where to put my shut off wire. I've normally just popped it into any fuse (electric windows, 12v outlet, sunroof, etc) but I did that with my Ford Focus and it set off the anti theft. I don't want to make that mistake again.

Also out of curiosity, has anyone ever had any alternator issues or fried their batteries by having this type of set up?

Any information you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You might want to just get a breakout radio harness. I just found this on Ebay:

Toyota-Lexus-Scion-Factory-Radio-Add-A-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Plug-amp-Play-Harness thumbnail 1

There are also unpowered ones, but this is the simplest.

Depending on how many amps your audio adds up to, you might want to go directly from the battery with a properly rated inline fuse. A heavy constant draw will wear down a alternator that's only putting out just the amps you need, affecting battery life.

When adding a high power amp, I recommend getting the highest output alternator you can get for your car and also replace the battery with a 30% higher cranking capacity to handle the higher output alternator.

You know you have an issue at night if the amp causes your lights to dim or the blinkers blink a little slower, both signs that your electrical system can't keep up with the load.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to just get a breakout radio harness. I just found this on Ebay:

Toyota-Lexus-Scion-Factory-Radio-Add-A-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Plug-amp-Play-Harness thumbnail 1

There are also unpowered ones, but this is the simplest.

Depending on how many amps your audio adds up to, you might want to go directly from the battery with a properly rated inline fuse. A heavy constant draw will wear down a alternator that's only putting out just the amps you need, affecting battery life.

When adding a high power amp, I recommend getting the highest output alternator you can get for your car and also replace the battery with a 30% higher cranking capacity to handle the higher output alternator.

You know you have an issue at night if the amp causes your lights to dim or the blinkers blink a little slower, both signs that your electrical system can't keep up with the load.

Have a good day.
With the current pandemic it's a bit impossible for me to buy that. I'm working with what I have, which I know will work.
I'm running my power wire straight from the battery with an inline fuse, my ground on a seat bracket in the back. As well I'll be hooking up a capacitor to make up for he drain.

I just need to know where to hook into the speakers for the output converter, what the color codes are and where I should put my shut off wire for the amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever have any luck installing your converter? I'll be installing an LC2i in the next few weeks. I ordered a factory harness extension so I can possibly tap into the wires without having to touch the factory wires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also the stock head unit will limit how much output you got not very good.when you have an opportunity highly suggest upgrading the radio makes a world of difference

·
Registered
2017 RAV4 XLE
4 Posts
With the current pandemic it's a bit impossible for me to buy that. I'm working with what I have, which I know will work.
I'm running my power wire straight from the battery with an inline fuse, my ground on a seat bracket in the back. As well I'll be hooking up a capacitor to make up for he drain.

I just need to know where to hook into the speakers for the output converter, what the color codes are and where I should put my shut off wire for the amp.
Where did you route your power cable to the interior?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts