Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Toyota dealer confirmed new redesigned hybrid fuel tanks are coming Aug -Sept.

They will be California compliant fuel tanks.

Hooray

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With regards to the fueling issue, many of us here have learned not to rely on information that is "dealer confirmed". Many other fix dates have come and gone.
Service Manager confirmed it.

I am taking mine in this week and get it noted I have a problems so I am on the list for a new fuel tank.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol - good thing the service manager confirmed it
Rusty shoots straight.

He has been with Toyota over 30 years.

I have had lengthy chats with him over the last year I have owned my hybrid. Great guy.

No reason not to believe him when he says replacement tanks are coming.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
988 Posts
Your dealer must confirm the problem(s) before they are able to claim reimbursement for the repairs. Or so I read from the dealer notice Toyota sent out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do they confirm it? I need one!
Rusty told me to get it documented my fuel tank has issues filling.

When the tanks arrive in a few months I will be notified to bring my Rav 4 hybrid in for a tank replacement.

This is not a recall which means the squeaky wheel gets the tank.
Russ

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rusty told me to get it documented my fuel tank has issues filling.

When the tanks arrive in a few months I will be notified to bring my Rav 4 hybrid in for a tank replacement.

This is not a recall which means the squeaky wheel gets the tank.
Russ
That manufacture window sticker display price, gas millage, how many gallons it holds 14.5, and distance you could drive 580 miles. I could never get more than 10 gallons in the tank when empty, and it also never showed no more than the high 400 miles left to go before empty. This is a problem not a safety recall, Toyota knows the issue and they'll make it right!

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I got the letter today from Toyota saying "vehicle will be repaired with a new fuel tank and fuel sender gauge unit under the terms of this Customer Support Program if the condition is verified. ......" Clearly they have acknowledged the problem and are working on a new fuel tank and fuel sender, but don't have it available yet.. Personally, I complained to my dealer earlier this year and they did confirm the problem with my RAV4..

·
Registered
441 Posts
That manufacture window sticker display price, gas millage, how many gallons it holds 14.5, and distance you could drive 580 miles. I could never get more than 10 gallons in the tank when empty, and it also never showed no more than the high 400 miles left to go before empty. This is a problem not a safety recall, Toyota knows the issue and they'll make it right!
That's interesting. I just looked at my window sticker, which I had saved in my paper work, and it does not say either that it is 14.5 gal tank, or that it can go 580 miles on a tank. Maybe your window sticker was different. Mine was for a 2020.

It does have the url of fueleconomy.gov for more info. So I went there, and sure enough, the government says it is a 14.5 gal tank and a range of 580 miles (40mpg city/hwy * 14.5). The government (not Toyota in this case) is totally wrong about that. No one uses x.y gals in a x.y gal tank. I checked a couple other cars from other manufactures and it was the same error for them too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
That's interesting. I just looked at my window sticker, which I had saved in my paper work, and it does not say either that it is 14.5 gal tank, or that it can go 580 miles on a tank. Maybe your window sticker was different. Mine was for a 2020.

It does have the url of fueleconomy.gov for more info. So I went there, and sure enough, the government says it is a 14.5 gal tank and a range of 580 miles (40mpg city/hwy * 14.5). The government (not Toyota in this case) is totally wrong about that. No one uses x.y gals in a x.y gal tank. I checked a couple other cars from other manufactures and it was the same error for them too.
Toyota has advertised the same. dealer websites and the lead engineer have boasted about the range.

·
Registered
83 Posts

The government requires all manufactures to post MPG, and distance for the consumer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The government requires all manufactures to post MPG, and distance for the consumer.
Right, but that is not a manufacture's site, it is a gov site, and it is wrong. Not Toyota's fault (in this case). Again, my window sticker did not have a distance on it...maybe yours did.

BTW, the manufacture does not come up with the MPG numbers, the gov does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Service Manager confirmed it.

I am taking mine in this week and get it noted I have a problems so I am on the list for a new fuel tank.
You might want to call Toyota Corp also and get it noted there. The letter they are sending out said the fix will take several months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So wait a few years and then get a new gas tank? Assuming you don't really see or aren't bothered by the issue.

·
Registered
374 Posts

The FACTORY sticker from my 2019 unit has zero reference to fuel tank capacity or vehicle range.

The referenced "Window Sticker" has to be a Dealer specific sticker, unique and proprietary to the dealer which the poster purchased from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone have issues with getting the dealership to document their fueling problem? My dealer was supposed to investigate this issue at my 5000mile check and instructed me to bring in my car on empty. Even though they kept my car overnight they ultimately refused to preform diagnostics or document the fueling problem since it's covered by that letter Toyota sent out. I see this as a way for Toyota to circumvent Virginias lemon law requirements of three documented trips to the dealership. My service advisor noted that my problem will probably get worse as time goes on and there is no timeline for the fix yet. Sure hope it doesn't get worse than the 7.5-10 gallons my tank takes from empty, depending on its mood and it does seem to be slowly getting worse.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts