Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Anyone have issues with getting the dealership to document their fueling problem? My dealer was supposed to investigate this issue at my 5000mile check and instructed me to bring in my car on empty. Even though they kept my car overnight they ultimately refused to preform diagnostics or document the fueling problem since it's covered by that letter Toyota sent out. I see this as a way for Toyota to circumvent Virginias lemon law requirements of three documented trips to the dealership. My service advisor noted that my problem will probably get worse as time goes on and there is no timeline for the fix yet. Sure hope it doesn't get worse than the 7.5-10 gallons my tank takes from empty, depending on its mood and it does seem to be slowly getting worse.
They don’t have to document repairs they won’t perform and you can’t make them. I’ve had various levels of success at other dealers. If your ultimate goal is a lemon law buyback, send a certified letter to the service manager stating your concerns (there are sample letters online) and maintain that for your records. Good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You might want to call Toyota Corp also and get it noted there. The letter they are sending out said the fix will take several months.
Rusty , Toyota shop Foreman told me expect new California compliant tanks Aug -Sept assuming Covid -19 doesn’t mess things up.

This will not be a recall and that is why I am going to get it documented I need a new tank this Friday when I get my free checkup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just got my letter from Toyota a couple of days ago. Right after I had filling issues at the gas station. I managed to get over 2 extra gallons in the car by stopping after the first shut off and then. Adding more, about 5 times.

The letter states, as you say, that it’s not a recall. You will have to complain and have it documented by the dealer. The interesting thing is, I had the car maybe 3 months before I encountered the problem. So when I go in for my initial 5,000 mile service, I am going to bitch about it. Loud and long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man, glad I didn’t get one of them. Thought about it then saw the TRD and that was the easy win for me. Hope you all get this tank issue resolved! 🤞🏼

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, Mine is having the issue now too. I went for a long distance trip 1300 miles or so and then back and by the time I got back to Florida I was having problems. My last DTE was 460 miles and all I put all I could get into the gas tank; it would not fill. Fairly disgusting thinking you can fill up a couple times and make the trip but then when you are part way back; 520 miles away, you have to make at least one more stop where you did not want to have to stop in that area due to trouble there. I called Toyota and reported my VIN and the issue; I guess I also have to tell the dealer I go to when I get my 10,000 mile service. I hope that is soon enough to get in right away and get it fixed; I hate to go there unless I have to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My last DTE was 460 miles and all I put all I could get into the gas tank; it would not fill. Fairly disgusting thinking you can fill up a couple times and make the trip but then when you are part way back; 520 miles away, you have to make at least one more stop where you did not want to have to stop in that area due to trouble there.
How are you defining a full tank? By your DTE or by your fuel gauge?

You can probably make it to 520 miles, it's been proven that there's at least an extra 100 mile reserve in the tank once you hit E.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How are you defining a full tank? By your DTE or by your fuel gauge?

You can probably make it to 520 miles, it's been proven that there's at least an extra 100 mile reserve in the tank once you hit E.
By the empty tank I got only 460 miles out of when it hit 0 miles left. I am not a risk taker who goes beyond E and sometimes winds up sitting by the side of the road on E wishing he filled up. But you go ahead and run on E for your 100 miles, I will just complain to Toyota as I spent enough on the purchase that it should be correct. Maybe you think it shouldn't be accurate?? It has been pretty much standard equipment in every vechicle I have had for the last 30 years; and they were all accurate. Why should Toyota get a pass on accuracy?!

·
Registered
317 Posts
it's been proven that there's at least an extra 100 mile reserve in the tank once you hit E (by some people, not all. Different people experience different results. You have to know how your particular Rav4H behaves. If your Low Fuel light comes on with ~2.2. gallons left and you have ~1.5 gallons left when the DTE = 0 /needle hits E, then you're probably not going to get 100 miles beyond DTE = 0).
Fixed it for you. You're taking the gpsman1 position that the 100 miles thing is gospel. It is not.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Called by dealer, spoke to service manager Ron, and asked for a favor .
Asked to be put on a "list" for the new fuel tank.
He said, NO Problem, Your number 3 on my list.

He agreed, August-September.
Also, since its NOT a recall, He is dealing with these on as-needed, as called in basis...

So, I would call into your dealer and ask for a favor, to be put on, or create a list for fuel tank replacements..

Ron, said allow for 3-4 hours for the swap-out...

·
Registered
826 Posts

Also, since its NOT a recall, He is dealing with these on as-needed, as called in basis...

So, I would call into your dealer and ask for a favor, to be put on, or create a list for fuel tank replacements..

I'd be okay with being number 20 or 30 on the list. I don't want my car being used as a Guinea Pig by the dealer or Toyota.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

rav4 awesome.

I am glad you are also on the list.

I am tired of the issues.

My average mpg per tank is all screwed up.

Russ

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those that are getting the new tank pls let us know if it really fixes the issue! I'm not taking mine in until I have seen feedback from several others that it is truely fixed. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Only if you keep driving and deplete the hybrid battery.
Pike,

How will you know when you are completely empty of gasoline?

When the gasoline is completely gone the hybrid will switch to battery and after a couple miles of straight battery that slightly more than 1kwh battery will be depleted and you are done even if you add gasoline to the tank. It will not start and you will need to be towed to a Toyota dealership (not the local mechanic) and after $150 (Plus the tow on a flat bed) you are on your way.

There is a reason the gas reserve is huge on a hybrid. You should never even run close to empty.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Pike,

How will you know when you are completely empty of gasoline?

When the gasoline is completely gone the hybrid will switch to battery and after a couple miles of straight battery that slightly more than 1kwh battery will be depleted and you are done even if you add gasoline to the tank. It will not start and you will need to be towed to a Toyota dealership (not the local mechanic) and after $150 (Plus the tow on a flat bed) you are on your way.

There is a reason the gas reserve is huge on a hybrid. You should never even run close to empty.
I wouldn't do it and I don't recommend it but people have done it. I respect your opinion but I still believe that my point is valid. A message pops up saying "engine has stopped. Stop in a safe place within 0.6 miles". As long as you do that you will not have to be towed.

You are correct that you will have to be towed if you drive further on battery alone.

Simply my opinion, I don't believe that is justification for having a huge reserve. Hopefully, with the replacement tank the reserve won't be so huge.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I wouldn't do it and I don't recommend it but people have done it. I respect your opinion but I still believe that my point is valid. A message pops up saying "engine has stopped. Stop in a safe place within 0.6 miles". As long as you do that you will not have to be towed.

You are correct that you will have to be towed if you drive further on battery alone.

Simply my opinion, I don't believe that is justification for having a huge reserve. Hopefully, with the replacement tank the reserve won't be so huge.
Pike

I had no idea you are warned when the gas is gone.

Thank you. No apologies. I usually learn something on this site.
Russ

21 - 39 of 39 Posts